• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cowl hood

jpcherokeekid

NAXJA Forum User
Well i got tired of looking at my cracked and sunbeaten hood scoop from summit and decided it was time to build a real cowl hood scoop. went an got some 16 gauge sheetmetal and had it bent then just trimmed up the front to get the rake i wanted and welded it up. then i remembered how much i hate body work. Its still got some waves in it from heat distortion but i think it still turned out pretty sweet. i did cut the center of the hood sheetmetal out that would have been under the scoop soo its fully functional.

1031001451.jpg

1031001452.jpg

1031001717.jpg

1102001520.jpg

Looks good !!!!!! now you just need to go wheel that thing!!! :)

I'm digging it!

Did you happen to check engine bay temps before / after to see if there was a significant change? Did you already have the vents in it?

i put the vents in 3 years ago back when i thought they would help. (dont care what anyone says, they dont do crap). the cowl hood does make a huge difference in underhood temps though. before when i did not have my old hood scoop i couldnt even hold my hood long enough to get the prop rod up, and now i can touch almost everthing in the engine bay without burning the crap out of me. it wont fix an overheating motor but it does help keep the engine compartment cooler and has maybe a 10* to 20* drop in engine temps but that all depends on tire size, gearing, if your cooling system is in top shape and how heavy of a right foot you have. more time will tell if it helps keep the engine cooler while in heavy traffic, towing, ect.

Last edited:
Looks good !!!!!! now you just need to go wheel that thing!!! :)

Last time i remember i asked you twice if you wanted to go and you puss out:D

Any idea on the weight of it?

Or how much more it is then the stock hood?

I can feel your pain on the body work you must have put into that one.

Any idea on the weight of it?

Or how much more it is then the stock hood?

I can feel your pain on the body work you must have put into that one.

Maybee only added 3lbs to the stock hood. i could still lift it back up on the jeep by myself when i was done and re-installing it.

Jeff: its a good thing you pussed out because it just died on the way back from work today. pulled up to the stoplight off the freeway and it just sputtered and died. think it might be the tps again since it looked like the case of the sensor had started to pull apart. i wonder if that banks header is causing my sensors to overheat and burn up? that header gets hot as hell. gunna put a new o2 sensor in as well since i think its running a little lean.

Hey that looks pretty good. I taught you well grass hopper. Showing my age with that one. That's kinda the hood scope I'm thinking of putting on the Dart, not sure yet. See ya in two weeks. And NO i'm not doing the body work on the hood.
Later, Dad.

thanks for all the compliments guys. i will try and get some pics from further away tomorow as i have been busy doing my electric fan swap.

Back