• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rubi 44

I assume you are talking about the front axle. Yes, it will bolt-in, though I have never installed one. They are "modified" Dana 30 (some say) and the TJ/Rubi front axle is the same as the XJ D30 axle.

If you are talking rear axle, then you will need to cut off all of the bracketry and weld new shock and spring mounts. There may be other work needed as well. Not worth the effort in my opinion. If you want a D44 rear, get one from an XJ.

Hope this helps.

The Rubicon front axle is a low pinion Dana 44 diff/center section with dana 30 C's and knuckles. A high pinion Dana 30 is probably close to it in strength.

The non rubicon TJ front axle is a low pinion Dana 30

Megawatt said:
The Rubicon front axle is a low pinion Dana 44 diff/center section with dana 30 C's and knuckles. A high pinion Dana 30 is probably close to it in strength.

The non rubicon TJ front axle is a low pinion Dana 30

NOT TRUE on the NEW Jeeps, old ones yes. I looked at a 4 door and it did have a HP front D44:) will it fit? That is not known? What years used HP front D44's? I don't know, but for sure the one I looked at DID have the HP D44 along with an electronic disconnect sway bar and full locking diffs.

probably still uses a hub assembly similar to the Dana 30 though as I haven't seen one that appears to have manual hubs.

looks like the contral arms are a totaly different disign. Looks almost like a long arm setup. But I beleive the mounts are different. From my initial sneak peak at the 4 doors at the dealer.

Rickady said:
NOT TRUE on the NEW Jeeps, old ones yes. I looked at a 4 door and it did have a HP front D44:) will it fit? That is not known? What years used HP front D44's? I don't know, but for sure the one I looked at DID have the HP D44 along with an electronic disconnect sway bar and full locking diffs.

I was referring to the TJ Rubicon, not the new JK. Besides the control arm bracket location being different, I believe the track is wider on the JK axles also.

rocklandxjer said:
how are you going to get a front axle off of a new 4 door?

The same way you'd get one out of a TJ... upgrades or wrecks.
There is already a wrecked JK 4-door in the junkyard by me, however the mounts are different, so work would not to be done, not a bolt in like a TJ.

When I build a D44 front, I'll be using one from a 70-76 Ford (narrowed if I have to). I wouldn't waste my time with anything that shares parts with the D30.

Rickady said:

That was off of an 07 JK. It's a 32 spline "dana 44". Dana designated it the "dana 47" and DC strongarmed them into calling it a 44 "because jeepers want 44's".

It's 5 inches wider than a cherokee/tj front end, and the bracketry is different.

-C

cal said:
That was off of an 07 JK. It's a 32 spline "dana 44". Dana designated it the "dana 47" and DC strongarmed them into calling it a 44 "because jeepers want 44's".

It's 5 inches wider than a cherokee/tj front end, and the bracketry is different.

-C

Then that makes it perfect:) Thanks. I want a D47 in my next toy.

RCman said:
There is already a wrecked JK 4-door in the junkyard by me, however the mounts are different, so work would not to be done, not a bolt in like a TJ.

Seriously?! Wow that didn't take long. But I bet its a sahara edition, D30 front, D44 rear, not a rubicon. The rubicon's have just been released to dealersa few weeks ago, I think. I only know last time I was at my local jeep stealership, they couldn't get the Rubi's yet.

rocklandxjer said:
how are you going to get a front axle off of a new 4 door?

Easy. Just grab a few floor jacks and some wrenches, and ambush one at a dealership late one night. The bolts and bushings will all be brand new so they should come apart with little difficulty.

CartsXJ said:
Seriously?! Wow that didn't take long. But I bet its a sahara edition, D30 front, D44 rear, not a rubicon. The rubicon's have just been released to dealersa few weeks ago, I think. I only know last time I was at my local jeep stealership, they couldn't get the Rubi's yet.

I didn't pay much attention to it, but it looks like it was t-boned on the passenger side. I think it was the Unlimited X.

vetteboy said:
Easy. Just grab a few floor jacks and some wrenches, and ambush one at a dealership late one night. The bolts and bushings will all be brand new so they should come apart with little difficulty.

OR--- just carry a plasma cutter and some power source out there and you could be out in less than 3 minutes.

KSXJ said:
I heard that if you get the X with a tow package, it comes with f/r 44's.

Possible, but doubtful. Why would you need the D44 (D47) up front for towing? I still believe a front D44 is only avail with the rubicon for the locker and higher spline count axles, really no need for it in any other package. But then again, Jeep has done some wierd things before.

CartsXJ said:
Possible, but doubtful. Why would you need the D44 (D47) up front for towing? I still believe a front D44 is only avail with the rubicon for the locker and higher spline count axles, really no need for it in any other package. But then again, Jeep has done some wierd things before.

Yeah it came up on discusion because he was going to buy the rubicon, but the X tow package basically haveing the same axles, just no lockers and not lifted like the rubicon it would be cheaper in the long run. Since you replace most of the rubicon equipment anyway.

if you go to the jeep website and click details on the tow package it talks about a rear 44, but not a front 44 as an option. then the rubi has a 4:1 TC. So there are a few things the X with tow package wouldn't have.

Back