• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pump pulley install

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
As simple as this should be I think I f'd it up. Rented the tool to install the pulley on the new pump and I thought it was seated well went I went to press on the pulley but evidently the threads on the tool did not match right with the threads on the pump and it stripped it out! Now don't know what to do. Tool doesn't work, pulley is stuck. Guess I need a new pump and pulley AGAIN!!?!! Help!

You didnt **** it up, it squeeled after you installed it.
People allways complain about minimum wage counter jockeys, heres the upside. They usually DGAF.

Or you could buy a new one... if thats your thing. Of course the moral decision is up to you.

Ive had enough DOA parts from the parts stores to not feel bad doing such things. I assure you, they dont feel bad when you spend an entire weekend installing a DOA clutch slave cylinder, only to have to pull it all back out.

If you rented the install tool, then your "deposit" should be used to replace it. I agree that the parts store should replace the steering pump under warranty. Maybe buy the pulley tool. Out of curiosity where did you get these items from? Parts store business?....

Last edited:
If you rented the install tool, then your "deposit" should be used to replace it. I agree that the parts store should replace the steering pump under warranty. Maybe buy the pulley tool. Out of curiosity where did you get these items from? Parts store business?....

Autozone

Take the steering pump and tool back to Autozone, let a parts sales person explain exactly how the pulley is removed and replaced. It is their responsibility as to the usage of a particular rental tool. I would try this. Get another SP with your warranty.

Usually those tools come with warranties as well. I managed to strip the threads on a puller one time. I took it back and they apologized that it didn't work and handed me a new one which I returned the next day for my deposit back.

Like everyone else suggests, I would have no problem taking it back and just play dumb, you don't know what happened with the tool, you never had that problem before. All of which is 100% true.

Back