• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 4.0 Distributor Swap Out Problem

alexbrown64

NAXJA Forum User
Hi gents,

I have a 95 XJ with the 4.0.
I have taken the distributor out numerous times, as every few months, it get the squeaks. I strip it down, grease the bush, reinstall it and the Jeep runs like a champ.
The way i do the install is to mark the rotor button location in regard to the distributor body. When i remove and refit the distributor, i fit it without disturbing the Jeep and always aligning everything exactly as it comes out. Always works perfectly.

However, today, i decided to fit a no name brand cheap arse Ebay distributor.
I did everything exactly the same. However, on start up, and revving the Jeep, on decelerating it would crackle. On a test drive the Jeep was gutless. It idled fine but a little higher. It was also harder to start.
I swapped back to the old distributor again and it run perfect. I swapped back to the new one.. she ran like crap again.
Ive added a pic below of the old and new distributors. I am aware of the #1 TDC on comp stroke / harmonic balancer on 0 and using the distributor hole and pin. But i always thought that was for cars that had been moved, cranked, etc.. and you needed to find the timing point. As i don't disturb mine, it has always worked with my method.

So i guess my question to all the knowledgeable folk out there is: Can the cheap arse distributor be at fault.

Do i have to do the full FSM distributor fit up. The only thing i can think of is that the distributor gear on the new one was not fitted the same as the old one, and this could throw things out a bit. It all looks exactly the same, and when fitted, the distributor lock down bolt and rotor button and pump blade aligned in exactly the same position. I did deliberately refit the new one one tooth out on the distributor gear, but this threw the alignment out by heaps. I didn't try to run it one tooth out.

y4mGv_NrmnKNkXuu_1ASNERqVQGMAs7GjLyKuOvCLsaftz0eHXXsQmYJ6_G6Q9uqTe02zb1lHhLBqTvYnHKiaSj9p0tTna3dKuCuaXA4heJv_ogLrB9_2lgJgMS_srNQ5lUXb3LmbHPopW7M33i_ehe1ZMSV9k2r6AH3Ie84MmA2R63KkutlL-MOstrTzx-FuoMvITCTH44LWGjaaE_G_Mycg

Thanks,

Since your synch sensor appears to come out without disassembling the body (not like my 88), I suggest you use your old sync sensor in the new body.

Yep, i used the same cam sensor, rotor cap and distributor cap at all times. They are all good quality units that are almost new. Just swapped the distributor body in and out a few times, with poor results on the el cheapo.

Which brings me to another question. All the new ones seem el cheapo. I looked on RockAuto and Summit, and they all kind of look like the same crap from the same Chinese factory.
The original OEM ones were Sagem. I was thinking of looking for a good used Sagem from a wrecking yard, and adding a grease nipple.

Has anyone found a really good quality replacement distributor. Are they all the same? They seem to have different caps, but the bodies all look like they came from the place.... just junk....

Cheers,

and adding a grease nipple.

To what? The distributor is lubricated by the engine/oil. The old school distributors needed a light coat of good grease in the advance mechanism but that was all!

Not sure how far up the shaft the distributor gets lubricated, but they dry out and have that squeak. One of the main reasons folk swap them out is because of the shaft squeak and shaft wear. I take mine apart and grease the upper shaft and it runs silent and feels tighter for ages. I think adding a nipple just under the main housing so that you could pump a tiny bit of grease in every now and then would help. There is an internal oil seal, and this stops some of the shaft getting lubricated. I know when i take mine apart sometimes, it has gone dry..

y4m_LhUuVtwEt4za59H2aP6eQJ9OX6mtG30Im6s0Ok4y0cw5RFZs-q6HnOdblLZp49zxT2o3B0qqSodHaToUityCsuURQAqbIX_bM3l5FM2txiPiP1ptujf01hbRgPMn6xyursUwATY_FRpVKOMfTrsKQJ_kdnZ23RMsiLB8riBLM4nY7whZq0Wp9SMujstcuASaZVHnOUSol59MZ4cOBSRvw

Also, i just remembered, i used my OBD1 MT2500 scanner to check advance, and at all times, with both distributors, the advance at idle was around 14* BTDC. I am just wondering if the gear on the end of the cheap distributors is not quite locatedthe same, which throws timing out a whisker

Here is my old one stripped down. You can see the upper section under the plastic cap that gets corroded and dries out a bit. This makes them sloppy as well.

y4mlKm0W7YFm4tk5vyl9-Lz6pO1OM1vdFgahnKjIj4C_fHrBZDzaJFOAK2oDqK_3846BxWA-N4NPWAoL22gpOD4fQpeoR3zaXPkTtRpG3_6WrgbYFEQGdBKbACs5k5m-1GnXcGn9Ou-FKrLYYwzuPp5bDB1ajwdHT8uSahzNwkII-L76PHgq6pTtpAH9g9OTxUzvmolr7kkbUf0jEfizkZjmA

I just replaced mine in my '88. Trying to find something not "made in China" or at least non Chinese electronics is tough. I bought the Spectra one off Amazon due to it's quicker delivery. I have a separate thread on it, but so far it's working well.

Back