• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires. What’s your favorite?

TheXJDrew

SEC chapter president
NAXJA Member
It’s always interesting and also helpful to see what different tires people like to run on their Jeep for different purposes and even different terrain. What are some of your top choices that you’ve ran?

I’ve ran multiple tires and sizes throughout my Jeeps build stages. I wheel primarily on the east coast with a West Coast trip every other year or so.
My Jeep is also dual purpose, so road manners are important too.

-32x11.50r15 Goodyear MTR’s (2 sets)
-35x12.50r15 Goodyear MTR’s (2 sets)
-35x12.50r15 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3’s
-37x13.50r17 Toyo Open Country MT’s
-40x13.50r17 Toyo Open Country MT’s
-40x13.50r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
-40x13.50r17 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss.

Out of all of the ones I’ve ran, the top on my list is the Baja Boss with the Nitto Trail Grappler as a second. Both tires have done very well on road and off, but the Mickey has been superior in my case off-road. The Nitto was great in everything except anything loose, which is a common situation on the east coast.
The Baja Bosses however have been great in every terrain I’ve thrown at them from dry rocks, wet rocks, sloppy mud, loose dirt, you name it, they work.

Third would’ve probably been the Goodyear MTR’s. They always impressed me with how well they did. Road manners were good, but they always seemed to need rebalanced. I did puncture one sidewall on a brand new 35 too, so I ended up to the MTZ’s which I only ran a month or so before going tons, so I don’t have a really good opinion of them.

35 12.50 15 Cooper evolution Mt. A solid 7 on road. Great rain traction, terrifying in snow. Offroad they do pretty well. A direct comparison to my buddy's km3s shows it beats the km3 on anything but rocks.

31 10.5 r15 maxxis big horn 762. About a 6 on road just from the noise... they were loud. Insane offroad in the south east though. Mud, loose, rock, wet rock... they hooked on everything! Incredible sidewall strength (although this was a small size) but I regret moving to the cooper's from these other than the noise.

If I ever see you at windrock I'll hand you the keys to try the cooper's for yourself

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

I've run the Cooper STT PRO's on 2 different Jeeps and they are hard to beat on trails with mud or rocks and ride nice on the road. Only negative thing I have to say is they KILL your fuel mileage. I'm currently running the Goodyear Wrangler AT's in 255/75r 17 on my ZJ and The General Grabber X3's in 31x10.5 r15's on my XJ and they are heavy like the Coopers but they really clean well off road and grab dirt climbing steep trails. Haven't tried them on rocks yet cause I'm waiting on body protection for my rockers on the XJ.

Goodyear Duratrac's are the best I've found in fifty years!

Cooper discoverer s/t best tires I've had in 50 years.

35 12.50 15 Cooper evolution Mt. A solid 7 on road. Great rain traction, terrifying in snow. Offroad they do pretty well. A direct comparison to my buddy's km3s shows it beats the km3 on anything but rocks.

31 10.5 r15 maxxis big horn 762. About a 6 on road just from the noise... they were loud. Insane offroad in the south east though. Mud, loose, rock, wet rock... they hooked on everything! Incredible sidewall strength (although this was a small size) but I regret moving to the cooper's from these other than the noise.

If I ever see you at windrock I'll hand you the keys to try the cooper's for yourself

Sounds like a plan. I’ll be headed out there Good Friday with a group. We’re supposed to go run Atomic Ridge. Should be an interesting day to say the least.

Sounds like multiple votes for coopers. I wheel with several guys who run STT pros and have always been impressed with them.

I loved Duratracs for years if you’re daily driving. For a toy vehicle, I’m leaning toward BFG KM3’s as of late. A little noisier on asphalt, but fantastic in dirt, mud, and rocks in my experience.

For price, treadwear, on road & off road use you can't beat General Grabber ATs, now the AT2. I changes tires more frequently that most of you guys change your underwear, (I can't pass Tire Rack in South Bend without stopping and buying tires), and have had several sets of them over the past 15+ years. Similar tread pattern to BFGs but not with the over-inflated price, great in the snow, mud and rocks. You would not be disappointed.

I've run mostly Grabber AT's on my 1st 2 XJ's but suffered too many irreparable punctures (sidewall & shoulders) & found their braking on wet tarmac downright scary: not noticeably better than MT's the 3rd one came on.

I had a brief flirtation with a WJ that came on fairly new Maxxis road biased M&S tyres (746 - or some such) &, have to say, I was quite impressed.

Current KJ DD is on BFG KO's, never really put to the test (except one time when had to do an emergency stop on wet grass!) but, judging from their appearance, they wear extraordinarily well.

I'm pretty much exclusively running either BFG MT's or BFG AT's at this point, but thats partially because I stopped buying new tires years ago.

The Rubicon take-offs (MT's for the JK and now AT's for the JL) are in my opinion the best bang for your buck tire wise. I've seen full sets with rims go for what 2 of these tires go for new, usually with 75% or better tread life.

The JL AT's did great on my rig in Moab and the drive to and from there as well.

-32x11.50r15 Goodyear MTR’s (2 sets)
-35x12.50r15 Goodyear MTR’s (2 sets)

Just out of curiosity, are you referring to the original MTRs, or the Kevlar ones?

SlowXj, really? I ran a set of Duratracs for about a year (back in around 2009-2010 when they were relatively new to the market and had a lot of sidewall problems), but I they were great of- more capable when I wasn't blowing sidewalls (at least for light-moderate I was only at 2" and 30x9.50s at the time), far better than a pure A/T but still relatively quiet at the time.

Just out of curiosity, are you referring to the original MTRs, or the Kevlar ones?

SlowXj, really? I ran a set of Duratracs for about a year (back in around 2009-2010 when they were relatively new to the market and had a lot of sidewall problems), but I they were great of- more capable when I wasn't blowing sidewalls (at least for light-moderate I was only at 2" and 30x9.50s at the time), far better than a pure A/T but still relatively quiet at the time.

The MTR Kevlars. I should’ve been more specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheeled with a guy that ran them and the red clay and black mud just caked into them... it's to be expected without a chunky lug. They excel in other conditions I'm sure.

I have run BFG AT KO's for the last 5 or 6 sets and for our area, they are perfect. Was forced recently due to non-availability to go to the KM's and they are way too loud and their road manners are bad.

Drew I know 40s are heavy and suck to swap, but have you thought about running a set of streets (think 39in ko2 or something) then swap to muds for trail days?

Drew I know 40s are heavy and suck to swap, but have you thought about running a set of streets (think 39in ko2 or something) then swap to muds for trail days?

Not really, mainly because I’m really happy with what is on there now. They ride really nice. Most of my driving is highway too, and they wear really well. I have seriously been considering getting a set of the sticky Bosses in a 40 though and having them in a second set of wheels to swap out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the XJ:
31x10.50 MTR
33x12.50 MTR
35x12.50 Interco TrXus M/T
35x12.50 MTR
37x12.50 MTRk
39.50x13.50 Interco IROK bias (currently mounted but haven't run yet)

On the WJ, truck and son's XJ:
BFG KO2

The only tire I hated was the TrXus M/T, way too soft (actually have only 2-ply sidewalls). Best tire for my use (rocks out west) has been the MTR's.

For all-terrain's we have been very pleased with the BFG KO2 and have used 4 sets so far on 3 different vehicles.

Last edited:
I don’t remember the trxus being so bad? I think I was coming off the old MT/Rs that I ran bald super fast with a spool though.

2003-ish 35” MT/Rs - I liked them
Eric’s 35” Trxus - I liked them
35x12.5r15 ProComp X-terrains - I liked them
35x12.5r17 ProComp X-terrains - I liked them
37x12.5r17 General Grabbers - maybe DOT or maybe something weird - I liked them
37x12.5/17 Maxxis Trepador stickies - I like them

The only one I ever cut a sidewall was a 35x12.5r17 X-terrain. I also lost a couple valve stems but they were on Dodge OEM aluminum wheels with deep backspace and exposed valve stems.

Back