• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tires. What’s your favorite?

I've run mostly Grabber AT's on my 1st 2 XJ's but suffered too many irreparable punctures (sidewall & shoulders) & found their braking on wet tarmac downright scary: not noticeably better than MT's the 3rd one came on.

Sound like you need a better spotter when rock crawling and some upgrades to your brakes . .

I don’t remember the trxus being so bad? I think I was coming off the old MT/Rs that I ran bald super fast with a spool though.
I'm glad they worked out for you. I must have sold you the set of 4 that were still good. The 5th was destroyed after a huge bolt punctured it on the street and then it developed a huge tumor in the sidewall. Offroad traction was good, I just felt I couldn't trust them in the rocks durability wise and went back to the tried and true MTR.

Wheeled with a guy that ran them and the red clay and black mud just caked into them... it's to be expected without a chunky lug. They excel in other conditions I'm sure.

Ok, I see where you're coming from I found them to be great in rocks/dirt/loose dirt/regular mud, but I never got into Clay (the places I go to in PA don't really have that sort of thi), so that explains your different "experience" compared to the folks up this way that I've seen running them.

Maxxis razr is working very well for me in all around off on road conditions I run 15psi most the time.
I dont normaly air down. These things just work.
f7f729b830fc5f7be4695eec88523e5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Yokohama Geolandar AT.
GY MT/r
GY Duratrac

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Toyo 35 x 13.50/r15 Load range c. My previous were the 33" flavor

Last edited:
One thing I never mentioned about Grabber AT's is how poor I found them to be on wet grass. I was reminded of that over the last couple of weeks on vacation on (& off) the West coast of Scotland. 2,000+ miles in my latest acquisition, a 3.7 V6 KJ (it's a long story but, essentially, it was meant to be mu urban DD) but point is, that's on BGG AT's & it never ceased to impress on all surfaces, which I'm pretty convinced had more to do with the tyres than what they were mounted on.

I get some hate for using mtrKs but they work pretty well for me. Have been running them for many years on a few different sizes and on a few different rigs.

I have cooper stt pros 35x12.5x15 on hutchinsons and they have been fantastic. Snow, mud, and rock they’ve done well and they are wearing pretty well with about 20k miles. Not super loud but they are mt after all not miracles. I’m going to get them again.

my all time favorite was the original MTRs
currently running worn out 37 mtrk.

best set on the road tire was the Cooper evolutions in 33's

Best bang for buck and all around offroad- the Patgonia MTs.
Favorite- have to agree with the Goodyear MTRs

I don’t think I have found a tire that is good at everything. I am leaning towards Mickey Thompson or Interco next.

I'm running Michelin LTX now, after a blowout
with a BFG Long Trail. The LTX are good highway
tires, in rain, snow, and on ice.

The only off-road I do these days is to pull
it in the yard for a wash...

I might put something else on my xj and put these on a street rig.

Maxiss radar is still doing great but not seeing many miles
316421fa3a775eeccfefa281496e345a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

I have had the Cooper STT pro's in a 33 and they were heavy and way to loud after a few thousand miles. I went with the BFG KO2's in a 32x11.5xr15 and I couldn't be happier. They were a couple pounds lighter than the Coopers. I really think weight has a lot to do with the way the tires opperate, especially on these 4.0s.

Back