• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Questions

K2XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok...a few lift questions for the all wise...

My 95 xj is completely stock. I have been thinking about lifting it slightly...but also want to keep it fairly simple cause it is a daily driver and a weekend warrior. In most 4wheel mags, the smallest lift is about 3''. Will a 3'' lift cause me any troubles??? I dont think it should but im not sure. I dont want to worry about rubs or any damage. Also, what is the biggest tire that would fit in there on stock rims?

Thanks everyone!

It all depends on what type of wheeling you do/plan on doing. The XJ is a extremely capable rig stock so you might want to consider the basics first such as recovery points (front and rear), skids, etc.

When mine was stock, I ran 30x9.5/15 bfg mt's on stock wheels with no rubbing at all both on and offroad.

The smallest lift is a 2" bb (budget boost) which will include a spacer and shackle, or spacer and add-a-leaf. This, with good tires will make your rig more capable than stock and will look a little more aggressive as well (it's how the xj should come stock IMO)

try searching for what 3"+ lift kits include/require, etc. you will find a lot of info here.

Largest tires without lift. 30x9.5R15. I have been told that the largest I would want to use on factory wheels are 31x10.5R15. But recently I have seen a set of 33x9.5R15's that seemed to have no issues. Do some searches. If you can, come down south (WA) for some of our informal runs. You can see what your rig is capable of and what are good choices to make. Get out, play, and talk to the guys before you start tossing money into an XJ.

Keep an eye on the FS posts here and on other local forums.

I agree with all that has been said here, I recently got a 95 XJ as my DD and new toy - it has a 2" lift with 31x10.50's on stock rims and I have no issues.

It looks just aggressive enough to say "I go off road" but not way out there like those rigs you need a ladder to get into. I took it on some trails the other day for the first time and was impressed with the handling and performance.

I don't expect to go any higher but will work on the ride quality since I think they used a cheap lift kit like skyjacker but don't know for sure.

I do agree that if you intend to do any wheeling on a regular basis that recovery gear and points should be the first place you spend the money and then second to that are skid plates - this is where most of my overtime is going this summer!

I have a 94 ZJ ( grand cherokee) and it is just a road dog but never missed a beat in 4wd on the ice and snow.

Good luck.

JC95

Back