• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full width 9" and 44 are in (pics)

fatwreck

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so the waggy44 isn't full width, but the 9" is. It's measuring out to be 66". I don't know if that's because of the disc brakes or what....cause I thought f150 9"s are supposed to be 65".

Anyway, what do you guys think of the width? I'd prefer to not have to put any spacers on the front. IMO, it doesn't look that bad. I'm pretty sure that I'm just going to run it as is for now.

Also, with 5.5" of lift..with 1.5 year old springs....I'm pushing it with 35s. I don't want to hack the rear and I really want to keep the stock flares. I was thinking of adding 1.5" short add-a-leaf to help me out....cause I'm sure that the bumper and tire combo doesn't help. Thoughts?

Pics:
IMG_4110.jpg

IMG_4112.jpg

IMG_4111.jpg

Looks good. The only thing you may notice is a little larger turning radius.

you'll run a fullwidth axle but you won't cut your fenders? :confused:

why not take the stock flares and move them up. You're SERIOUSLY wasting suspension travel.

I'm running a stock width up front and a narrower bronco axle in the back. I think theres about a 2-3 inch difference overall and the rear doesn't want to follow the front if there are any ruts and such. I haven't gotten on any rocks yet, but I can image the rear will be more prone to slipping off then before. You may experience something similar. I'll probably end up throwing on some spacers for the rear.

CheapXJ said:
you'll run a fullwidth axle but you won't cut your fenders? :confused:

why not take the stock flares and move them up. You're SERIOUSLY wasting suspension travel.

It's not that I won't cut my fenders. It's just that I don't want a hack job of an XJ. I don't like TJ flares. I don't like Bushwackers. I don't like no flares. So, that leaves me with making the stock flares work. I know it can be done....and I'll do it. It just depends on how much....or if I'll have to axle narrowed so that it tucks in better.

I realize that it is ideal to have the front be wider than the rear, but I like how the front is tucking right now...so I would prefer to not add spacers to it.

Pics before the 9" went in....and I've trimmed some more off the front since:
flex1.jpg

flex2.jpg

Hey,

I PM'd you. Any help would be great.

Zach

If you want it a bit narrower get some rims with 5" BS. I ran 4" BS 15x10 rims with stock axles and found it was a bit wide and so did the local police. I'm running full width D44HP and D70 combo and got some rims ordered without the centers then had a local welding shop water jet cut me new centers from 3/8 plate and can now have pretty much what ever back spacing I want, or till I run into steering nuckle clearance issues. Expensive but looks good and the new centers are way stronger and they are one of a kind wheels. I should have some pics soon.

I thought about running some different backspacing, but the thing right now is that my rear is wider than my front. I don't want to have different wheels front and rear.

I guess I could get spacers for the front and new wheels all around, but by the time I do that....I might as well have the rear axle cut down to a smaller size for $250.

If you can shorten the rear it would be probably be your best option and while you have it out add another 2" lift. I ran 7" lift before I started my new project and was a good height for 35's. It was a 90 limited with 4.5" Rough Country lift, 2.5" spacers, and custom longarm setup and 35" MTR's. Got me everywhere I wanted to go and then some. Wider flares would also be an idea.

I don't know what you have into the 9 but I would be tempted to sell it and swap in something narrower or use a bronco or f150 44 with radius arms full width.

Your front does not seem to tuck nicely your short arms push the wheel way forward.

You could also just buy 2 inch spacers for the front about $100 that would also suck the hub in a bit getting it away from the rocks.

fwiw I personlaly run a 30, 8.8, 3.75 bs 35s and probably 6-7 inches of lift and it seems to tuck okay, no bumpstops, my front flares are moved up also.

Gary E said:
I don't know what you have into the 9 but I would be tempted to sell it and swap in something narrower or use a bronco or f150 44 with radius arms full width.

Your front does not seem to tuck nicely your short arms push the wheel way forward.

You could also just buy 2 inch spacers for the front about $100 that would also suck the hub in a bit getting it away from the rocks.

fwiw I personlaly run a 30, 8.8, 3.75 bs 35s and probably 6-7 inches of lift and it seems to tuck okay, no bumpstops, my front flares are moved up also.

You know that with any axle you build....you WAY more into it than what someone would be willing to pay for it. That's just how it is.

I thought about maybe swapping to an EB housing, but it's almost just as easy and inexpensive to cut this axle down.

I also thought about putting 1 1/2" spacers up front, but I *really* like how the front tucks. I know that my short arms are pushing it forward a little bit, but after I trimmed the corner off of the fender/flares....I was able to get a nice lock to lock turn without it hitting anything....inlcuding the bumper. That wouldn't be the case if I added spacers.

Right now, I think my plan is to put an add-a-leaf in the back next week. See how the rear works out. Run it for a little while....actually wheel it (haven't done that in a while, damn)....and then if I'm still not happy, I'll fork over the $250 and cut the axle down some.

Fat, hack your fenders with an air body saw, clean the cuts with an angle grinder and have a friend bend up some tube and make you some tube fenders. Wanderingwillys did this and I think he even uses them to limit up-travel.

Oh and your rig looks great dude.

:rolleyes: real nice...

brian, i think your rig pretty sweet.

i gotta say though, you wouldn't have any of these problems if you'd just let me mount your flares 1/2" below the top of your fender, let me trim the fenders with my 12" circular saw since i'm going to be going in a circular direction anyways, get rid of the bumpstops all together, and of course.. run bronco buckets.

the 'buckets are key. ;)

do u have a 6 or 5 bolt front waggy front??? cause i see u have a 5 bolt rear what did u do to the front to get this to work??

Back