• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions after my first lift

snakemanc6

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,
I just finished lifting my 2000 XJ. I went with an RC 3" series 2 lift, and gained about 3.5 in the front and 4 in the back. With the kit i also replaced the LCAs, and an adjustable track bar.

I've barely driven it since i completed the lift. It developed the expected vibrations, so i'm having a local shop install a SYE and driveshaft for me Monday. In the little ive driven it i have noticed a few things that im hoping you might have some advice for.

1. I upgraded wheels and tires to 31x10.5x15, 15x8 wheels with 3.75 backspacing. I'm getting a fair bit on rubbing around the bumper end caps and rear of the flares. I trimmed the bumper end caps and that's helped there, but just found the rubbing at the bottom rear of the flare. I know i can trim things here and there, but i see so many posts of people saying that they fit similar tires on similar setups and dont have to trim anything. Also, if they're rubbing pulling into my driveway, i'm guessing it'll be awful on the trails with sway bar disconnected.

2. My brakes seem a good bit worse now. I know they aren't know for stopping ability to begin with, and i increased my unsprung weight with tire and wheel upgrades but it SEEMS to stop so much slower now. It could be that i've gotten used to driving our other vehicles the past few weeks (and am overthinking it), but i'm not sure. I did replace my rear brake line during the lift, but i bled the brakes, saw no air, and the pedal doesn't sink. It just seems to slow/stop much more slowly than before.

Ive not yet had my alignment done after the lift. That'll be done Monday as well. Not sure it that will have any impact on the stuff above.

Mainly just wanted to see if anyone has any advice or thoughts on this. It's my first XJ as well as first vehicle i've ever lifted, so it's all a learning process for me. Any info you might have would greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone

I would check the control arms, are the adjustable? if so you may need to fine tune them a bit.
bigger tires will hurt your brakes some, but you can always upgrade the pads, do a rear disk swap, etc. adjust your rear drums, they love to go out of adjustment.

That rim size and backspacing is the source of your rub. Brakes always are less effective with larger tires. Diagnose what you have, then there are upgrade options!

Back