• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil leak in area of oil filter, need help

gman

NAXJA Forum User
1989 Jeep Cherokee, is leaking in the vicinity of the Oil Filter. I would like to know if that piece that the oil filter is screwed on to is removable and replaceable, or even what is it called. I have having a nasty oil leak at this piece, would like to know what can I do? Can it be a faulty seal or o-ring, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The adapter is removable,there are 3 or 4 O-rings your Jeep Dlr has a kit.You could have either a hex head bolt on an allen head bolt holding it on,depends on the year.
Wayne

I crawled under my 92 XJ and found the same oil leak. Is it as simple as removing the bolt, replacing the O-rings and then replacing the bolt? Do you need any gasket sealer?

Yup, that simple. be really careful if you have a torx bolt on there though, you can't use a ratchet on it, you'll have to use vice grips on the torx socket. Go to Madxj they have a great write up on the whole thing in the tech section. Make sure you are ready to do an oil change because it's much easier with the filter off!! You don't want to use sealer on it, the o-rings will work nicely if you make sure all surfaces are clean. BTW if you want you oil filter to point to the back of the jeep or upward you can do that when you put it back together. You'll see what I mean when you take it apart!:)

The bolt is quite close to the uinbody rail. The writeup on madxj shows some real good pix of this. I used a dogleg combination wrench as mine was a hex head.

Just did my 91 a couple a weeks ago. The filter adapter can be a major source of leakage. My driveway has been drip-free since the replacement.

There is very little clearance between the bolt and the frame. I could not get a ratchet in there. I ended buying/using a stubby 5/8" box wrench, and loosening it from the top of the vehicle. Once it's loose you may be able to turn the bolt by hand. Then, once you have replaced the o-rings to get the bolt started, you can turn the entire assembly. Make sure you locate the assembly correctly relative to the little tube, on the block(see MADXJ), before you start tightening. I found it easier to tighen it from underneath the vehicle(I had my splash guard off).

The partnumber for the o-ring set that is listed on MADXJ is not correct for the earlier XJs. Make sure your dealer gets you the right set. It seems they sell them individually as well.

try madxj.com

they have an article on the topic of oil filters, takes about how to replace the filler neck or up grade to the down filter. My 88' points up, no big deal but to have it point down is a much easier way to change the oil.

It took me less than 30 minutes on my 88 and it was a hex head bolt. The oring kit i wanna say was like $8 at the dealer. really simple to do and you don't need any kinda gasket sealer either. But like everyone says it is a tight fit. Broke the bolt free then backed it out by hand.

Back