• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Upgrade

MacGowan-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a stock hood that has been modified with a fiber glass cowel induction scoop. I have cut out underneath the scoop to help vent heat and cool the rear of the motor. However, one thing I have noticed is that this upgrade has added a tremendous amount of weight to the front end. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the actual weight for the stock hood. I am considering purchasing an entire fiber glass hood that weighs around 40 lbs, and want to know how much heavier the stock hood is from this.

Thanks,
MacGowan-XJ

How did a fiberglass cowl add a tremedous amount of weight? It should only weigh a few pounds. Plus the screws to put it on and possible some body filler. Why do you think that it add a lot of weight? Are your front springs saging? If so it is probably not from this it's just occured at the same time.

The weight increase I can feel when I lift the hood...atleast 8-10 lbs heavier. The scoop was custom constructed from a fiber glass hood for a Chevy 1500. They had to cut a section out from the middle of the that hood, then glue the remaining pieces together, with about a 3 inch overlap. This combined with all the extra molding and such actually added quite a bit of weight (atleast more than you would think coming from fiber glass).

Anyway, my purpose in upgrading is to reduce weight. I really like the look of this hood, and want to stick with the design if I go to another hood. I was just wondering if anyone might have the specs for the stock hood weight.

Thanks.

Are you thinkingof selling the hood you have now? And do you have a pic I work near Rancho, If you don't have a pic. Or are you going to the off road expo Saturday?

I don't have a pic scanned in yet. I will get it up tomorrow if you want to see it. I'm not sure if I will sell it after I upgrade. I think having a spare might be a good idea...especially since the upgrade will be completely fiberglass. Off-roading is bound to take its toll on that puppy. If you click on the link Rav put up, it looks almost identical to the one on the gray colored XJ.. only difference is his XJ is lifted and mine only has a 2" budget boost.

By the way, either of you happen to know the stock hood weight?

Back