• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Vacuum System

racintck

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys! Noob here.

I recently bought an 89 XJ to use offroad only and being that old and all the brittle plastic vacuum parts under the hood, I wanted to eliminate as much of that stuff as possible. This is my first introduction to Jeep as I was mainly GM based powerplants. Is there a specific write up that can point me to what can be removed without messing up the computer since this thing is FI?

Thanks in advance.
TC

You can get new vacuum lines for not much money. It comes in a left and right side and clips together. Not much to be gained messing with oem

The system is set up to use the engine vacuum to measure what is going on in the system and tell the computer how to compensate. Removing them will totally screw up your performance.

Thank you for the quick response. (forgot to put in that it is a 4.0l auto 4wd)

You know how it goes "I was hoping for a different response, but I will take it." I ordered the left and right vacuum harness.

Normal vacuum at idle around 15inches?

Right now it has a super high idle which I was attributing it to all of the vacuum leaks. Hopefully I am headed in the right direction.

Also check the vac line from the throttle body to the map sensor on the firewall. It's not part of the harness.

Vacuum lines also operate the EGR valve, the HVAC vents, the hot air valve (front of the air cleaner) and the cruise control (if you have it). These are also not part of the harness so check them all.

I wish I could post photos here.......

Anyway, make sure you go to www.cruiser54.com and complete Tips 1 through 5.

I have his page bookmarked now, thank you.

This weekend I pulled all the vacuum lines and replaced both vacuum harness halves from Rockauto, cleaned out the IAC and at the moment the only vacuum lines that are active are associated to the motor. It does idle about 1k while in park right now, but I am currently battling a previous hack job on the electrical wiring. When I did have it running, I noticed an exhaust manifold like at the head and I could only image the intake leaks as well.

Owning older vehicles are not for those without patience.

Thanks for the suggestion Black_Black. I got it back running and then it started dogging out when trying to accelerate so, I brought it back home and shut it off. When I started it back up it shuttered and stumbled so bad until it died on me.

And that is where I am at now. Turns over but doesn't start.

I will check both of those tonight and see what is what. I don't think the fuel gauge works which is on the list to resolve as well. Good thing you don't have to drop the take to do that task.

How is your fuel pressure? Check out the ballast resistor

I did give a quick look over and I am planning on doing the upgrade as suggested. Like every vacuum line on this thing, it is probably shot and I am sure if I touch it, it will disintegrate.

Check the integrity of the Hose/tube from the throttle body to MAP sensor.

Replaced the plugs, cap and rotor tonight and currently has a random stumble and hesitation when throttling up.

Map sensor hose and connectors seem to be okay as I fumbled around them and no change.

Fuel pump ballast are in working order.

Good thing is now the idle is about 800rpm.

Replaced the wires and found cylinder 4 is doing nothing, so I am on the hunt for injectors.

You should find out what it is doing before throwing more money at it !!!

Back