• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 Xj Fuel Pump Check Valve Question

CMK4425

NAXJA Forum User
I dropped the tank and removed the fuel pump. Both strainers are filthy and the inside of the tank is also dirty. Anyway I was messing around with the lovely all-in-one fuel filter/regulator/check valve and I noticed that if I squirt degreaser in the output that it freely flows out of the input. Am I wrong but shouldn't the check valve if working properly stop anything from flowing this way?

Not completely familiar with the design of the fuel pump assembly, but I would suggest that as long as you have it out, that you replace the entire assembly. (with anything but an Airtex; Bosch is a good brand of fuel pump)

A 10 year old fuel pump has given you pretty good service, and I imagine that you pulled the assembly because of a symptom? If so, please describe..........

I have been messing around with a misfire issue. I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and my pressure was low and not holding once the engine was killed. I have already replaced the coil pack, spark plugs (before checking fuel pressure), I also pulled the fuel rail to make sure none of my injectors were leaking. Also while I had them out I cleaned them. It wouldn't be that big of a deal but our inspection checks for codes and will fail you for a misfire code, regardless if the MIL is on or not. I really miss my '77 Bronco sometimes.:bawl:

If your pressure was out of spec (49 psi plus or minus 5 psi for your 01), then don't hesitate. REPLACE that pump assembly.

If you have low pressure, the problem isn't the check valve. It is in the pump/regulator part of the assembly.

I was going to change both strainers and the filter/regulator on top and then see if my pressure is correct before I change the pump itself. I am correct in thinking that clogged filters can drop the pressure also? I would rather put a bosch pump back in it and changing it out separate is alot cheaper. The whole bosch module is $310 vs. $200 changing out each part:confused1

Fine, but replacing the entire assembly lowers the possibility that you have to drop the tank again.

Regardless, you need to get to 49 psi at idle. Good luck!

Back