• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird noise

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
anybody wanna come over and listen to the noise my xj is making? ive never heard this sound before. i know this probably belongs in OEM tech but what im looking for is someone to LISTEN to it, hence the post in the local hoo-hah.

anyways.. for the last couple days, when pulling away from a stoplight every once in awhile it will make a popping noise, like when my bmx used to pop a tooth on the gear, but this is louder, and i can feel it with my feet on the floorboard. then, today, when i was driving down the street slowly looking for a parking spot it was making a high pitched hum, like when you go too fast in 4low. also, when parking i noticed a "ssshhhhhhhhhhh" sound that reminded me of the sound when you pull the brake booster hose off when the engine is running.

AAHHHH! i'll pull my front DS tommorrow, but my uneducated guess says tcase problems. maybe something in the linkage is not letting it out of 4wd from the last time i used it?

:(
-G

transfer case chain is the first thing that comes to mind... loose but not shot to hell yet. when you move slow it's dragging on the case housing... I bet it doesn't pop if you accelerate real slow.

Mine just makes a thumping sound, like someone tapping the floorboard with a rubber mallet twice in quick succession when I accelerate hard. Or when I'm off-road and the front axle drops real quick, like when going over whoops just fast enough to be beyond the range of control for the stock shocks, or when climbing a hill and getting over a large rock. I'm not entirely sure what it is.

and pull your front diff cover off just in case

djblade311 said:
and pull your front diff cover off just in case
we just did the front diff a couple months ago. everything good in there. the noise is definatley coming from right below me.... and i have no idea what the hissing noise im hearing when its moving is..... ugh. how hard is it to rebuild a tcase? unless i can find a 231 on the cheap im screwed. i cant afford to have this break its my DD and my only car.

:cry:

My t-case does that, but only in 4wd. But at low speeds I can hear the same whir, it is indeed the super-stretched chain rubbing on the t-case housing....I'd check linkage, make sure you aren't in 4hi!

well i guess im going to rebuild it. anyone done this before who can look over my shoulder? i dont think i should drive it to far the way it is. reccomend a good source on ordering a rebuild kit? i only show the chain and the input and output bearings in my napa computer.

General question about the T-Case, how often does the chain go out on the t-case? Is this a pretty common problem and when should we expect to have to rebuild it?

Alex

GrimmJeeper said:
well i guess im going to rebuild it. anyone done this before who can look over my shoulder? i dont think i should drive it to far the way it is. reccomend a good source on ordering a rebuild kit? i only show the chain and the input and output bearings in my napa computer.
dunno about this weekend but if you want to come by after work or put it off... I've never done a 242 but have done a BW 1339 quadratrac a few times- probably similar process. have idiot book and wrench handy? :) Stay away from NAPA parts, they suck!! :laugh3: Oh...just read your post closer- you only have to do the chain. bearings are most likely fine. I don't know if these have a seal on the case halves, but if not and you can't find them, hylomar should do.

watch it i work for napa ;)

and its a 231 not a 242. ive never rebuilt a tcase i wouldnt even know where to start

I know where you work :paperwork
It should be fairly easy to do. If you come up dry then I can try to get there weekend after this one. It'll be ok until then- just stay light on the skinny pedal.

it will probably be longer than that, im broke broke broke. i'll see what i can do. thanks for the offer

hey mike i've pulled a 205 apart and put it back together before. probably not so different from doing a 231, other than having that big goofy chain in there. if you got some parts this weekend i'm planning on coming back home to do my joints - did you get a chance to order those btw? :eyes: - so maybe do some kind of two-fer deal, i help on yours you help on mine you know?

i got your ujoints ordered i'll have them tomorrow AM. no wrenching for me this weekend, i work saturday and my bday is sunday. i may have a line on a 231 i can swap in until i rebuild mine. once i get my old one out we'll see. suposedly the 231 is the easiest of the tcases to rebuild so maybe we can knock it out some weekend and i'll do a big writeup on it.

GrimmJeeper said:
i got your ujoints ordered i'll have them tomorrow AM. no wrenching for me this weekend, i work saturday and my bday is sunday. i may have a line on a 231 i can swap in until i rebuild mine. once i get my old one out we'll see. suposedly the 231 is the easiest of the tcases to rebuild so maybe we can knock it out some weekend and i'll do a big writeup on it.

cool deal man, let me know.

Back