• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I know what you did last winter, spring, summer and early fall.

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well, thanks to Jes, I had to tear apart the best suspension I have ever built, in order to fit his old Atlas 4.3. The Atlas is bigger in almost every dimension, except for one. Because my old three link was built around an NV4500/NP231 combo, and all clearances were withing 1/4", I knew I was diving into a major reconstruct when I installed the Atlas. Knowing that, I figured I could also add a foundation for a future rear link suspension while I had everything out.

DSC00218.jpg

These are the two new crossmembers, the drivetrain mount, and the T-case skid. The front crossmember is 2x4x.25", the rear is 2x4x.188.

DSC00219.jpg

Here are the 4 components all assembled. The front crossmember attaches through frame sleeves with one 5/8" bolt, and two 9/16" bolt. The rear is two 9/16" bolts. The longitudinal drivetrain crossmember that goes betweeen the two suspension crossmembers mounts with 8 3/8" bolts. It is made from .188 plate cut and welded into a custom shape with a bit of drop to accomadate the skidplate which is formed around the bottom of the Atlas.

DSC00206.jpg

Another view. The upper control arm mount is 2x2x.188", the LCA mounts are 3x3x.188.:

DSC00207.jpg

Here are the members installed:

DSC00221.jpg

And a closer view of the drivetrain mount. I'm especially proud of this piece, 8 pieces of steel in there, and a Wrangler spring bushing. Bolts in with 8 5/16" bolts through the Atlas cover. The "V" notch relief on the driver's side allows you to push the bushing out for service.

DSC00215.jpg

Here's how the longitudinal drivetrain crossmember and the mount interface. 9/16" bolt holding it in place.

DSC00228.jpg

Here is everything installed. LCA arms are my old 2"x.25" chromoly units cut down 4" to 35.5". Upper arm is 1.75" x .120". Heim at the frame side is a 1" bore, 1.25" thread. All other joints are RE's.

DSC00227.jpg

Another shot:

DSC00224.jpg

Things get kind of tight on the driver's side. The red tube above/next to the UCA is grafted into the floor, and catches a perpendicular 1.5" tube that has a washer welded in, and through bolts into the UCA mount. This reduces any potential movement of the UCA mount under braking, or landing.

DSC00225.jpg

Another view. Thanks again to Billy for hosting. XJDB is the shiznit.

Here you can see the vertical separation at the frame. On the old suspension, I had three holes: One that nearly equaled the vertical separation at the axle (one inch less), one that was an inch lower, and one two inches lower. I settled on the middle position, as nearly parralel had very little anti-dive which made the rear of the Jeep very light under hard braking in the dez or on fast fire roads. Knowing this, I just drilled one hole in the new mount to duplicate the geometry of the old junk.

DSC00208.jpg
[/IMG]

All in all, I'm very happy with the way it all went together, and it's nice to know that I can add a rear triangulated 4 link without too much trouble in the future.

Last edited:
Re: I know what you did last winter.

How much shipped to 63385?

x2, and it will have to be made for a LWB MJ, I assume you've got the measurements already.

Nice work.

Would it be too much to ask you to really use the flat head c sunk allens under the cross members?

It would be worth the entertainment value on the trail to hear what Richard would have to say, trust me. :D

--ron

BrettM said:
now hurry up with the cage work, dash and wiring! :D

Pics in two weeks, very busy with my roof. I'm not embarrased to say that I didn't like the cage color and have to repaint before posting pics. Oh, and I had to grind and Bondo the welds inside so I didn't catch my skirt getting in and out. :D

And Ron, I have to use the stainless pan head allens, anything less is not bling enough. Even if it means drilling them out for trail repairs. :D :D

Captain Ron said:
Nice work.

Would it be too much to ask you to really use the flat head c sunk allens under the cross members?

It would be worth the entertainment value on the trail to hear what Richard would have to say, trust me. :D

--ron

:confused1 Allens are the best.:)

CRASH said:
Pics in two weeks, very busy with my roof. I'm not embarrased to say that I didn't like the cage color and have to repaint before posting pics. Oh, and I had to grind and Bondo the welds inside so I didn't catch my skirt getting in and out. :D

And Ron, I have to use the stainless pan head allens, anything less is not bling enough. Even if it means drilling them out for trail repairs. :D :D

Let me know when the mail order plans for the custom child seat frame and mounts are available! :D Its bolt in right?

Porch Puppy said:

I guess they are the best.................................if you're trying permanently attach the skid to the jeep :rolleyes:

Rick

BTW.....Nice work Crash. Will it ever see the dirt?

Captain Ron said:
Nice work.

--ron

Awh, just cut 'em off. Oh wait, they're counter sunk so you can't, so yeah, drill them out. Oh, you don't have a drill on the trail, wait....someone has a cordless they can go get. Ah oh, they're stainless, the corless doesn't have enough poop. Oh well, just tack weld something to the head so you can beat them out, that'll work. So, what's wrong with hex head, did ya think you'd have trouble getting them out? BTW, anyone have dinner?

Now just repeat over and over.........

:D

How's that, Ron?

Looks really good, Andy. I still need to figure out my crossmember and skid plate, and where to mount the rear suspension. I like the extra mount on the Atlas, what was the thinking behind that? Hmmmm...........

What size rod ends did you guys use on the upper arm?

Oh, I see, that is the only trans mount. Nice way of doing it.

There are so many things wrong with this thread I'm not sure where to start.

1. Winter? Sure feels like July to me.

2. Allens? I didn't seem to have a problem with them at all. I thought it was a beer break.

3. Richard, just search you forgetfull old fart. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=223594&postcount=34 (at the bottom)

4. OT? The dope make you forget how to spell Okie?

5. Please clean and wax all parts before posting pics.

Goatman said:
Looks really good, Andy. I still need to figure out my crossmember and skid plate, and where to mount the rear suspension. I like the extra mount on the Atlas, what was the thinking behind that? Hmmmm...........

What size rod ends did you guys use on the upper arm?
CRASH said:
LCA arms are my old 2"x.25" chromoly units cut down 4" to 35.5". Upper arm is 1.75" x .120". Heim at the frame side is a 1" bore, 1.25" thread. All other joints are RE's.

Goatman said:
Awh, just cut 'em off.

Now just repeat over and over.........

:D

How's that, Ron?

Porch Puppy said:

Rick XTRM XJ said:
I guess they are the best...

Lincoln said:

2. Allens? I didn't seem to have a problem with them at all. I thought it was a beer break.

I swear to God I'm gonna start bringing popcorn for everyone on trail runs. :D

--ron

Captain Ron said:
I swear to God I'm gonna start bringing popcorn for everyone on trail runs. :D

--ron

I think some of that crap in the aluminum pan would fit nicely between the header and the motor.

Lincoln said:
There are so many things wrong with this thread I'm not sure where to start.

1. Winter? Sure feels like July to me.

Fixed it the title for you.

I don't see the problem with Allen heads, they seem plenty stout for sitting in the garage, and I haven't had trouble removing them yet!

Maybe I should have gone tamper-proof Torx?

Goatman said:
I like the extra mount on the Atlas, what was the thinking behind that? Hmmmm...........

Yeah, it's the only mount. The trouble was, there was no way to get a trans mount under the 4500 without compromising some strength or ground clearance. With the 231's planetary housing, there was an extrs 3.5" between the NV and 231, allowing room for a similar setup to what we did for Jes. Now, everythings sqeezed together, and there is NO ROOM in front or behind the crossmember.

Mounting to the Atlas seemed like the best solution, as the case is very thick all the way around, but particularly in the cover mount area. I believe it's going to be fine, but I'll be keeping an eye on the t-case to trans studs and the cover bolts. Don't want to end up like Phil!

I wonder about the upper link.
What is the attatchment point to the axle? Did you weld-in or bolt to the cover attatchment points? Have you ever worried about twisting the passenger side axle tube? It seems like with Hydraulic steering you could over torque the passenger side tire and cause some serious damage.
Any problems in the past? What type of wheeling do you do?
please answer in any order.

Back