• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do newer doors fit on older XJ's

It can be done. You have to modify to the later striker mechanism. I do not know of the hinges. I'm looking to do this when I have a little more fluid income.

not a direct swap but all you have to do is install the late model striker and it will bolt up...the door hinges are the same
x2! It is a great mod to do if you can come up with the doors cheap because most 6.5" speakers become bolt ins, you lose the leaky triangle windows, and the newer doors are braced better. All you really need to do is make sure you get the strikers and make the top hole elliptical for side to side adjustment. The top hole of the new striker bolts into where the old one was.
DSCF3521.jpg

Driverssidestriker.jpg

It must be later that the hinges change, anyone know the split?

hey, while were on the general topic of old to new swap (vice versa)

say i like the look of the newer front end.

is there a pretty decent match up of replacing all old fenders and front plastic parts with the newer style? given that i might need to drill and fab some underbody mountings?

hey, while were on the general topic of old to new swap (vice versa)

say i like the look of the newer front end.

is there a pretty decent match up of replacing all old fenders and front plastic parts with the newer style? given that i might need to drill and fab some underbody mountings?

it has been covered eleventybillion times on here. the search feature is your friend

JP Magazine did an article on an MJ, do a search there, had some good photos.

what do i search tho? im kinda clueless on key words.

That was my MJ in the JP Magazine article. It's a pretty easy mod. This is the second Jeep that I've put 97+ doors on. And the 97+ front clip and fenders are a bolt-on.

IMG_9281.jpg

putting old doors(made half doors)(93)
on a 98. (4dr)

having trouble hinges are same function n fit jus look different.
but im having a striker problem.

it doesnt line up of course. but looks like il have to drill new holes n move it up a full inch

Any of the original posters still on this forum? If so, I have a few questions regarding the swap. Already did the front clip on my 92... about to do the doors soon.

20160713_200348.jpg

Unbolt the hinges from your old door and put them on the new door. Only mod will be for the striker. I also haven't seen someone make the electronics work with newer doors on an older model. I'm sure it can be done though

Unbolt the hinges from your old door and put them on the new door. Only mod will be for the striker. I also haven't seen someone make the electronics work with newer doors on an older model. I'm sure it can be done though

Yeah, I knew about the hinges already. I had a question about the striker, but I figured it out. I was hoping someone could give me a few pointers about the wiring, but I haven't had any luck yet. JPMagazine's writeup included some pinouts, but it's not real clear if those are for the old harness or the new doors... plus it's not really helpful to have just one side of it. Kinda need to know what both sides are to make 'em talk to each other, ya know?

I found a guy on comanche club that's been doing the swap with doors, dash electronics, and all, but with him swapping the dash too, I don't think he's using the old electronics.

The mag write-up was pretty useless pertaining to the structural differences. The "Striker Mod" seems .... lacking. Bolting the jamb catch with only ONE bolt, albeit elongated doesn't seem Secure ... At All.
Can anyone shed any light on the jamb catch fitment in a thorough, secure way ?
Thanks ...

edit: Found Thread by COJeeper that is VERY thorough. Sadly, the required steps to securely mount the striker catch turned me off of the swap. Bummer. Perhaps JUST the windows/regulators .... ?

Last edited:
The mag write-up was pretty useless pertaining to the structural differences. The "Striker Mod" seems .... lacking. Bolting the jamb catch with only ONE bolt, albeit elongated doesn't seem Secure ... At All.
Can anyone shed any light on the jamb catch fitment in a thorough, secure way ?
Thanks ...

edit: Found Thread by COJeeper that is VERY thorough. Sadly, the required steps to securely mount the striker catch turned me off of the swap. Bummer. Perhaps JUST the windows/regulators .... ?

Link to thread?

Were his windows/locks manual or power? I've been looking for a really good thread that goes into a little more detail on converting the wiring and haven't had very good luck.

Back