• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash removal

tylergrant2011

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone give me a writeup or a link to a writeup for swapping out the evaporator core on an 87 mj. I had one years back but lost it. I do remember the dash doesn't have to come out just slid back but I can't remember where all the bolts and screws are at.
Thanks

That year dash is one unit. There are about 4 bolts across the top might be 6.. and two on each side. The column attaches to it with two nuts. The ones across the top are under the plastic cover where your defrost vents are. I have actually removed the two bolts and braces on the steering column and dropped it down. Then removed the top bolts across the top and loosened the side bolts and it will move.

Don't forget that pesky screw hiding behind the ash tray.

I have a screw driver with a flexible shaft that makes pulling the screws on the defroster filler panel up next to the windshield to get to the mounting bolts a ton easier.

I remember those aggravating screws on the dash by defrost. Took 10 minutes to get each one out. I think I left a few of them out. I remember the 2 on each side but the nuts under the hood I can remember exactly where they all are at there's like 4 or 5. And do I need any special tools to remove the evaporator.? I know on one of my jeeps back in the day I did. But all I can see are 2 nuts on the expansion valve

Back