• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mystery wire

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
Can someone explain what may be the purpose of the yellow wire in the attached image? It's wrapped around the coil to distributor wire about five times and is secured by a couple of zip ties, but it isn't "connected" to anything in the traditional electrical connection sense. It runs through the firewall and disappears into a rats nest of wires under the dash, but I can't trace it further. Could it have something to do with a remote starter and alarm system installed by the PO? It's been in my '99 Limited since I bought it several years ago. Thanks if you can offer any insight into what it may be.

a7bd1f5abddaebca8f5c2b8d1b9cad7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's where the Di-Lithium Crystals are hooked up when the Flux Capacitor needs recharging.

It's an extra wire from a previous owner, leave it, or cut it off.

That's where the Di-Lithium Crystals are hooked up when the Flux Capacitor needs recharging.

Doh! It's so obvious now!

Anyone else?

I was going to say part of the dematerialization circuit. :)

I'd trace it back, probably ran auxiliary lights, CB or something like that so you can probably just cut it out. But I'd make sure it not hooked to something first, looks like it's not.

Aftermarket RPM gauge? Is that around a coil wire you say? Trace it out and find the other side. Hard to see the location from an up close picture.

Is the other end grounded? Or just hanging loose?

Could be an attempt to make a transformer to measure the pulses from the distributor. Could be an alarm to detect when the engine is running, or to check the timing on the fly. But, leaving one end ungrounded is poor design and it probably wouldn't work very well. Probably not a remote start thing.

Could also be an attempt at making a Choke. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(electronics) . But you would expect that on all the cables not just one and there would be no point in running back to the firewall.

Thanks for the input.

I removed it. It doesn't seem to have done anything.

That was likely an inductive feed for the remote start to serve as an engine speed signal. Once the engine caught it speeds up and the remote start knows to stop trying to start it.

That would be interesting as usually there's a tach wire that feeds to an injector and you wouldn't have to wrap a wire around anything. At least for a remote start.

That would be interesting as usually there's a tach wire that feeds to an injector and you wouldn't have to wrap a wire around anything. At least for a remote start.

Probably a lazy installer that didn't want to have to find the tach wire. I'm only familiar with that technology because I had to do that to a 2005 Crown Vic because there is no tach feed at all and I didn't want to go with voltage sense as the form of engine-on confirmation.

Perhaps a stray electron collector, for the flux capacitor LOL.:laugh:

Or a hide away radio antenna, making the rig safe for bandit car washes that and neighborhood riffraff kids that eat radio antennas?:laugh:

But I do like the Flux Capacitor idea.

Back