• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick disco opinions

Mojo Troll

NAXJA Forum User
I just snapped a generic sway bar disco on my XJ and was looking for opinions on replacements :mad: . The one I recently broke was the cheaper disco's that came with Rusty's 6" lift kit (older). Since then, I believe he has switched to JKS disco's on his 6" lift.

I like the way the JKS's disconnect better, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or opinions on other designs. Thanks for the help.

Please no Rusty bashing. It seems a lot of people on the net like to bash all of Rusty's products. I'm extremely happy with my Rusty lift with the exception of the weak quick disco's, which I probobly should have been disconnected in the first place.

honestly, i dont think you'll find a better disconnect product than JKS's quicker disconnects. they're expensive, but that clearly went into the development of the product. to fabricate your own with similar results is posssible; but after trail and error, parts, and aesthetic consideration....JKS's are probably the way to go.

Another vote for JKS

I tried the RE ones, and the homemade extensions, but couldn't believe how much nicer the JKS' were.

Spend the money. You won't be disappointed.

John

I've got the RE ones, and I believe they are basically the same design as Rusty's. I'll be ordering the JKS ones this week.

Yup, JKS is the way to go.

I've never had anything but the JKS disco's, but have seen other rigs with *lesser* brands. They can be a REAL pain to hook back up, the JKS set-up is very nice. You won't be sorry.

Looks like I'm going to be getting some JKS disco's for XMAS. I think I'm going to try and sneak a steering box brace onto the list as well.

If I'm going to be laying on the cold ground, might as well add a steering brace while I'm under there. Plus my g/f can't bust my chops for working on the XJ if they were XMAS gifts.

I guess you could say that's killing three birds with one stone. Is'nt jeepin great LOL. Thanks for all the help.

Everyone get your wish list out. Nows the time to take advantage with the signifigant other not being able to accuse you of spending more time with the XJ than them.

HUMMMMMM.....Perhaps I need to go wheelin and hang the transfer skid on a rock so I can get a new tranny/transfer skid??? NAHHHHH that might be pushing it. Knowing my luck I'd damage something seriously expensive. Carma can be a real beast LOL. :flipoff:

I was going to say I have a set of JKS disco's that I would sell cheap but thdy nDad fixed. I am not sure how muck Jim Nolete charges to fix them but I have heard not much plus they need some new hardware. I am no longer running a sway bar so off they went. BTW do not grease the new ones. The grease collects dirt and causes the bushing to freeze up running them dry makes the loose and easy to disconnect.

bluexj89 said:
BTW do not grease the new ones. The grease collects dirt and causes the bushing to freeze up running them dry makes the loose and easy to disconnect.

Ok this will need some explain(fg to me.

Yes I'll give you grease will attract dirt, that is what maintenance is all about. Cleaning, re-greasing, making sure bolts are tight. We not supposed to just drink beer between jeeping trips. :D

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
Ok this will need some explaining to me.

Yes I'll give you grease will attract dirt, that is what maintenance is all about. Cleaning, re-greasing, making sure bolts are tight. We not supposed to just drink beer between jeeping trips. :D

hinkley

This is what Dirk told me cause I was doing the "required" maintanance. He said this is what Jim is doing to his. If I am wrong it is Dirks :twak: fault. And I might have miss understood him also and if this is the case please correct me and I appologize. My set was purcased before Jim added the second grease zirk so the upper bushing froze, while the bottom worked flawlessly. If I am passing bad info please beat me like a red headed step child:S BTW What is beer?

The JKS are byfar the best quick discos I have seen though, I wasn't trying to bash them by anymeans.

here's a thread hi-jack: knowing that the JKS quicker disconnects are adjustable, for XJs are they one size fits all or are there a few for different lift heights-and if so, what are those ranges?

ylojelo said:
here's a thread hi-jack: knowing that the JKS quicker disconnects are adjustable, for XJs are they one size fits all or are there a few for different lift heights-and if so, what are those ranges?

Good question, there are ranges but I'll refer you to his web site : www.jksmfg.com

mark

bluexj89 said:
This is what Dirk told me cause I was doing the "required" maintanance. He said this is what Jim is doing to his. If I am wrong it is Dirks :twak: fault. And I might have miss understood him also and if this is the case please correct me and I appologize. My set was purcased before Jim added the second grease zirk so the upper bushing froze, while the bottom worked flawlessly. If I am passing bad info please beat me like a red headed step child:S BTW What is beer?

The JKS are byfar the best quick discos I have seen though, I wasn't trying to bash them by anymeans.

Ya the single zert ones are a biatch to grease!

Beer, sorry not that age yet? :D

mark

Thanks for the link, so I'll answer my own question:
for XJs they make 3 sizes: stock, 2"-3.5" lift & 4"-6" lift.

Since they are adjustable, their site didn't say, but maybe the 'stock' covers stock to 2".

Hey bluexj, how does yours handle on the road without the sway bar? I'm slowly slideing into "offroad only" on my XJ. My only problem is, I have to drive to my offroad playgrounds.

Might just have to try disco'ing the swaybars this weekend and cruising around town.

Mojo Troll said:
Hey bluexj, how does yours handle on the road without the sway bar? I'm slowly slideing into "offroad only" on my XJ. My only problem is, I have to drive to my offroad playgrounds.

Might just have to try disco'ing the swaybars this weekend and cruising around town.

They way it is now terrible! But that has nothing to do with swat bars. Actually my front end is a sway bar. I am running a modified ford radius arm front end and it is nothing but a sway bar. Before the drive train swap I used to run discoed all the time and it really wasn't bad. As lond as evasive manuvers weren't needed. Ever drove an early 70 Chrsler Co. land yacht? If so It felt like less body roll then those! Don't forget I live in the middle of wheat country and traffic isn't real heavy.

Back