• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Troy's "I need to quit working on my wife's Jeep" build

Sure glad you got ride of the 35, good move.

really digging this!

The halo needs more triangulation but otherwise i like it! Nice work!

Sweet God that thing is awesome......Stealing parts of your cage design......

Ram" Time for a Halo" Rod.....

Very nice work and attention to detail!... taking some ideas from here!

Where are you at in Kansas?

Thanks for the nice comments, I'm west of Wichita near Haven.

The halo needs more triangulation but otherwise i like it! Nice work!

I went back and forth on this. I agree ideally it needs to be triangulated to some nodes for the ultimate in strength but I had my reason to build it the way I did. Most because If I ran the tubes triangulated to all the vertical "thru the roof bars" I wouldn't of had enough room to weld it all together the way I wanted. Also I wanted it laid out the way I did so I could haul stuff on the top. The 24 gussets I welded in definitely help.

I went back and forth on this. I agree ideally it needs to be triangulated to some nodes for the ultimate in strength but I had my reason to build it the way I did. Most because If I ran the tubes triangulated to all the vertical "thru the roof bars" I wouldn't of had enough room to weld it all together the way I wanted. Also I wanted it laid out the way I did so I could haul stuff on the top. The 24 gussets I welded in definitely help.

:thumbup: Good enough explanation for me. I actually prefer the looks of the triangulation but to each their own. I plan to carry stuff on top of mine as well but between myself and Brianho13 i'm sure we can figure out a solution(when I have the money for a cage that is).

A little more progress. The piece on the tire will be a removable inner fender.

photobucket-66921-1362961375815_zps54977bb2.jpg

A little update, I seam sealed the fenders and have been waiting for them to dry for the last week so I could sand and paint them. So I moved on to getting the winch I bought last year finally mounted.

I want it tucked behind the bumper to keep it out of the way. I tried to mount it to the factory winch holes but ran into 2 problems.

1. It hit the larger Durango box
2. It hit the mechanical fan blades

So I hacked enough of the factory crossmember out and mounted it about 1 1/2" down and over. I've already got the new crossmember in and painted, I'll add some shots soon. Here's some mock up pics.

IMG_20130324_153403_795_zpse4ba4be2.jpg

IMG_20130324_153509_404_zps0c13d355.jpg

Crossmember done. I made it out of 10 GA. It has a flange along the bottom and each end. I spot welded it to the factory crossmember and ran a 1.25" tube across for extra support when pulling.

IMG_20130326_193326_698_zps9582a3af.jpg

IMG_20130326_193310_976_zpse03ad28a.jpg

More winch progress. Mounted with the fairlead.

IMG_20130328_074524_630_zps900a2696.jpg

From underneath.

IMG_20130328_074624_843_zps23447688.jpg

The next big hurdle was where to put the solenoid. I was out of space under the hood and finally decided to tuck it up inside of my new fenders I built. Since they're flared out a good bit there was room to mount it in the finder opposite of the battery. The best part is I put the plug in the fender panel. Its protected and easily accessible. Of course all the factory winch cable were to short so I spent all night running longer cables.

IMG_20130328_074714_512_zps2789b30c.jpg

IMG_20130328_074732_197_zps5cbc3dbe.jpg

Now to finish the fenders and get some paint on them.

Back