• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My daughters first four wheeling experience.

XJourney

NAXJA Forum User
This last week has been the experience of a lifetime. It all started Friday(11/24) morning with the birth of our first child which was a total surprise since my wife wasn't due till Dec 11th. I hope everyone gets to experience a birth in their lifetime. It was everything that they say it is and even more. Her name is Makayla Rae Huisman. She came into the world @ 7:41 am weighing 6 lbs 15 ozs. and 19 1/2" long. I think she is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen, sorry honey.

MakaylaRae048.jpg

Now this is where our story become different then most baby stories. We wake up Sunday morning in the hospital to a few inches of snow with more coming. The time has come for us to be discharged, so we hurry out into the impending snow storm.

MakaylaRae023.jpg

Lock the truck in four wheel drive and off we go. Nothing will make a new father more nervous then taking his daughter home in incremental weather. It took an hour to go the 15 miles home. Here is a pic of close to whiteout conditions. I am not sure of the wind speed, but I did everything I could to keep our Dodge Ram away from oncoming traffic.

MakaylaRae026.jpg

FINALLY we are home SAFE. Or so we thought.

MakaylaRae027.jpg

The very next day we sit down for lunch as a new family when all of a sudden the power goes out. No big deal I am sure it will come back on by evening. So we huddle down and wait and wait. 6pm comes around and now despite all of our efforts the house has dropped to 58* inside. Here is were we had to make a serious decision. Fight or Flight. After a thought out discussion it seems the only answer is to head out into the storm and go to the in-laws who only live 10 miles way. We load up into the Jeep and now we lock the Jeep into four wheel drive. The snow is drifting hard which makes the going slow, by this time I am rethinking the decision to venture out. And wishing I had some of my NAXJA brethren with me to help bust drifts. But with time/luck/determination we make it, just in time to watch the 4th quarter of MNF.

The next day I have to head back to my house alone. In our rush to get out the night before we forgot to turn on the faucets to keep the pipes from freezing up. On the way I earn my "One ton utility truck recovery team" sticker. Which is one step above a "H3 recovery" but just below an "H2 recovery" sticker. When I get there still no power and the house is 40* inside. Good thing we left there is no way a newborn could survive in here. The house is in tacked minus a few tropical fish.

With time the power comes on and we are back into our house in 30 hours later. The next day we wake up and start enjoying the beauty of the new life we have started as a family. And now looking back on this week I can smile knowing my daughter has spent more time four wheeling then most people, and loving every minute of it. She is a natural I think.

MakaylaRae035.jpg

Re: My dauthers first four wheeling experience.

Hans,

Congratulations!!

I am sure there will eventually be much more 4wheeling in her future. For now, the snow drifts will have to do.

What are Karri's "rules" for taking Makayla wheeling now?

Michael

Congratulations Hans.
Your daughter is beautiful.

Cleatus92
Trevor

Congrats Hans!... Very cute little girl...

Have you previously partaken in a sleep deprivation experiement?

:D

congrats, and good to hear you made it through all that safely. Im sure that will be something she enjoys once she gets old enough to understand it.

Congratulations Hans! She is beautiful. Just remember that your life will now revolve around shades of PINK.

GI-John said:
Just remember that your life will now revolve around shades of PINK.

And you'll find that ANYTHING can be marketed to little girls as long as there are Disney princesses plastered on it.

Fine looking child, Hans. Enjoy the experience. If you have any questions, feel free to ask the Council of Fathers that is the NWC. :D

Nice story!

ECKSJAY said:
And you'll find that ANYTHING can be marketed to little girls as long as there are Disney princesses plastered on it.

Exactly.

Fine looking child, Hans. Enjoy the experience. If you have any questions, feel free to ask the Council of Fathers that is the NWC. :D

There does seem to be alot of us. (especially with girls)

Congrats Hans.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. We really appreciate it.

2xtreme said:
What are Karri's "rules" for taking Makayla wheeling now?

That is a good question. The only rule so far is "she can't drive" A forward facing car seat would be a good start. What are Dawn's? I just have to figure out how to make it my wife's idea to go wheeling.

With all of this snow, we have had only a couple visitors, so eventually we will have to venture(four-wheel) out to the Great Grandparents.

red91inWA said:
Have you previously partaken in a sleep deprivation experiment?

:D
Most definitely. And now that I am older it is much harder. The first 4 days I got about a total of 8 hours. But since then I am getting a good 5-6 hours a night. She is going to start sleeping through the night next week, right ;)

And I am sure I will have questions for you other fathers. "Like which Power Wheels Jeep has the most flex?" "Is 8 too young to have a mini rock buggy?"

Hans

Congratulations, Dad!!! Glad to hear everything turned out well and your daughter's healthy. Just promise me one thing; let her mom teach her words...unless you can tell me what "incremental weather" is.... ;)
XJourney said:
Nothing will make a new father more nervous then taking his daughter home in incremental weather.
-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
Congratulations, Dad!!! Glad to hear everything turned out well and your daughter's healthy. Just promise me one thing; let her mom teach her words...unless you can tell me what "incremental weather" is.... ;)
-----Matt-----

Nice catch Matt. It is a slang term used by rural folk to state worsening weather.;) Come on man I am learning how to web wheel and change a diaper all at the same time and not get poop all over the keyboard.

Hans

PS you missed the misspelled title, or are you giving me a free pass.

XJourney said:
Come on man I am learning how to web wheel and change a diaper all at the same time and not get poop all over the keyboard.
puke.gif

XJourney said:
PS you missed the misspelled title, or are you giving me a free pass.
Ha! I missed that...kinda like you missed the question mark on your last sentence. ;)

-----Matt-----

hey congrats man. Reading your story reminded me of when my PITAs were born. I couldnt wait for them to talk and tell me what was hurting or what I was doing wrong. I miss them not talking. Good luck with everything, it's a long road but the hard work will pay off from what I'm told.

Oh, about the wheeling thing, I couldn't get mine to allow my boys to go till they could walk, even still I can't talk her into them coming along very often. Good luck with that too.

Congratulations to you and your wife Hans. We had our son at St Joes too, very nice facility. I've done that drive between B'ham and Lynden many times in the snow and when it starts drifting across the road it definatley gets dicey. glad you guys made it home, and survived the storm intact. My son has probably seen more of Walker Valley than most 15 month olds. just dont tell his mom!!!
Ryan

XJourney said:
The only rule so far is "she can't drive" A forward facing car seat would be a good start. What are Dawn's?
Hans

Our rule was as long as they could support their own head, most mild stuff was fine (obviously all trips are different).

XJourney said:
And I am sure I will have questions for you other fathers. "Like which Power Wheels Jeep has the most flex?" "Is 8 too young to have a mini rock buggy?"
8 is not too young for a mini rock buggy. But you might want a speed limiter on it;)

GI-John said:
Just remember that your life will now revolve around shades of PINK.
A quote from my oldest daughter. "I am allergic to Pink and Purple".

mud1059 said:
Oh, about the wheeling thing, I couldn't get mine to allow my boys to go till they could walk, even still I can't talk her into them coming along very often. Good luck with that too.
This might be due to the condition of your rig? Han's looks a little bit cleaner;)

Michael

Back