• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to lift about 2-2.5" need advice

btl_fed_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2wd XJ with 53,000 miles on it. I would like to lift my rig up about 2-2.5" and have been doing some research for the best lifting option. I realize that OME makes the best lift out there but I hear that they tend to lift the rig up closer to 3" rather than 2". Would I be better off to get a full length add-a-leaf for the rear from RE. What kind of ride do you get with one of those and how long can I expect my XJ to stay at that height before sagging comes into account. If I don't go with the OME lift then what are my options for raising the front? Does anyone asside from OME make a 2-2.5" lifted coil?

I just got some nice Mickey Thompsons along with rims for playing in the mud and sand with my XJ and they definitely rub a lot at stock height. I have 215s for when I am on the road so I don't want to go all out with a 3" lift since I would think those little tires are going to look kind of silly with that much of a gap. Any advice you guys can offer I would really appreciate. I am probably going to talk to the guys at the local 4wd store this weekend but I don't know how much they know about Cherokees.

Also, how much will it cost me when I get re-aligned after I lift? I just want to make sure I budget everything I need to so there aren't any unsuspected surprises.

THanks!

Jamie

Rancho makes a full-length AAL that is rated at 1-3/4". I have one in the garage, but it hasn't been installed in anything yet so I can't confirm the actual lift.

Seems like everyone in the universe offers a budget boost with 1-3/4" front coil spacers. Rusty sells his with your choice of a rear shackle or rear AAL -- I'd go with the AAL for sure. I've ridden in XJs and full-size Cherokees with rear AALs and the ride was fine. Ride in my MJ with the Trailmaster shorty AAL sucks, but that's a VERY thick AAL, plus the Trailmaster shocks are huge.

ZJ V-8 Up Country coils should also give you about 2" of lift -- if you and your dealer's parts department can figure out which ones to order.

I plead the 5th

"Your Honor, I decline to answer the question because anything I say might tend to incriminate me."

if you want 2" ... you have 2 options.

a budget boost with spacers and shackles or AAL's.

or OME

get part #'s OME 930's coils, OME JC1A leafs, and N35C and N36C shocks.

This will get you 2".

I've heard that the OME gives you more than 2" of lift though. Is this true? I also noticed there was a guy on here that was saying he got some vibration at highway speeds. I definitely do like the OME lift, I just want to make sure that it is worth the money.

Thanks,
Jamie

This is my XJ with OME 2" lift and 31 BFG muds. It needs another inch to completly clear the tires, but they don't rub in 90% of all situations.
NCXJ.jpg

Dave,

Did that lift give you a true 2" or did it give you more than that?

Thanks,
Jamie

I never did any "before" measurement so I don't know. I had planed on just going with 30" tires, but I got the 31s from a buddy for next to nothing almost new. I'm glad I didn't go with 30s.

Like I said they only rub in extreme situations with the sway bar disco'ed. They don't rub at all in normal street driving. I will be going another inch higher in the future to completely clear the tires in really twisty spots, but for now I like it the way it is.

I definately recommend the OME lift. Its pricey but I think its worth it.

the parts I gave you above will give you 2".

there are other parts to make a 3" lift.

660 is a lot to pay for a 2" lift compared to a BB and shocks for 220.

What you do with your jeep will decide if it is worth the money.

I just installed 930's, JC1A's, and N35 & N36 shocks. All parts where used.

I got 19.25" front and 18" rear from center of axle to bottom of flare after lift. This is 1.75" front and 1" rear over the "factory specs".

I do have a lot of weight in the back and on the roof which acounts for the low rear lift. I have some RE shackles on order to lift the rear a little more.

The ride is outstanding. It really is better than my stock ride both in handling and smoothness.

How much did the springs and getting the alignment doen set you back?

Did you have to replace your sway bars when you installed your OME lift? Was there anything else that needs to be done asside from alignment to lift the XJ with an OME lift?

Thanks,
Jamie

why would you need to replace the sway bars???

do you control arms?

if so no. The OME suspensioned are designed to be installed with no other modifications excluding alignment, which really goes without saying.

I knew a guy that has a ZJ and after he lifted 2" he had to replace his sway bars for some reason. Just want to make sure I cover all of my bases. So it looks like the OME 2" is going to be the way to go. Just have to make sure I save a few more pennies before making the purchase.

Thanks for the advice. I have a OEM skid plate that I would like to put on after I lift as well. I would assume there wouldn't be any problems with doing that.

Thanks,
Jamie

I will say this... the front skids are almost useless after a 3" lift ... so I don't know if it will do what it is supposed to after a 2" lift.

Personally I would try to sell it and get a transfer case skid and/or some rock rails.

Thanks for the advice poppabear. I think I am going to keep the front skid and see how it looks for protection on the front end. It's more for protection from stuffing the front end in the ground than boncing on huge rocks. I don't think I am going to bother with the t-case skid since I don't have a t-case. And that said, the rock rails aren't really necessary either since rocks and 2wd aren't really great friends.

Thanks for the advice looks like I am going to go with a 2" from OME and I suppose all there is left to do is order it and get some mates together with a couple of cases and lift that puppy up!

-Jamie

Back