• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Rear Seal

andyjsimmons

NAXJA Forum User
So I've read a lot of posts, checked the manuals, and have a pretty good idea how to do it. Let's say, just for the sake of argument, that I can't get the top half of the seal out---is it possible to put the whole thing back together to limp to a mechanic? If so, am I looking at 6 blocks? 6 miles?

yeah it's possible but sure would be terrible for me to surrender that far into the battle. Go buy a brass punch and work at it till you get it out. You can do it, don't let a machine beat you!

I ran into the problem of not being able to get the top half of the seal in without completely leaving the seal FUBARed. leaked worse than the orignal bad seal and it happened both times i tried to fix it. just a thought.

Brett

I've done the job a half dozen times and always managed to get the top half of the seal out. Though a couple of times I was really wondering if it was gonna move. I think the trick is to find the biggest punch that clears the edges of the seal channel. I've tried with a punch a bit too small and all I seemed to do was dimple the seal, too big and it catches the edges, so you aren't really hitting the seal. Maybe a square brass punch is the answer.
The bad news is twice now, I had it start leaking again, within a week or so of changing the seal out.

I would go for it. Do your reading, get a bras punch and take your time. I am a shade tree mechanic of average aptitude and had never done it before. Yes, the top half of the seal took a little bit. However, once I put it back together, no leak.
BSD

Back