• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build up

What should I do?

• Build the CJ

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Buy and build the Comanche

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Im having a bit of a build up delema right now. I have two Jeeps that when finished will be dd/wheelers. My dd is a 89 Cherokee which is semi built. I have a 1960 CJ5 that I am trying to build, but I really dont have the time or space. I bought a new frame that is streached, and am planning on ~105'' wb. I have a HP44 and LP60s for it, but thats where it stops. I would still have to figure out the suspention, body mounts, motor mounts, and every other little detail that has to be done in building up a frame. The only part that I would be keeping is the body.

Im trying to do this all myself, but a full on build is a bit over the top for my first build. I found a good deal on a 91 Comanche, and was thinking about maybe selling the CJ and buying that instead. I would build it similar to BrettMs, but maybe having the 60 and 44 instead of his toy and waggy axles.

So, ultimate question, what would you do? Build up the CJ or buy the Comanche and build that?

Hard call.

Given you are going to install a HPD44 and a D60 my thought is that you really want to beat on the resulting vehicle.

If that is the case I probably wouldn't build either.

I like MJs and CJ5s. I think a mild lift (say 31-33 tires) and a freshening of the stuff that needs it is all either these vehicles need.

If you want to go big, start with something there is a million of, like a YJ-TJ or make a tube frame.

Just my spin.

r@m

I would never go to the dark side and get a toy :laugh3:

The main reason I was going with the 44 and 60 is that I got them for very cheap. Im not sure if I bought the Comanche I would go that rout. The reason I am thinking about selling the CJ is I dont have enough room to do a frame off build up. My yard is only so big, so if it runs, it would help a lot.

Sell the CJ, and the Mj. Then sell me those axles :laugh3: . Then put all the money in your xj. Just a thought.

I need to keep the XJ semi streetable because that is my DD and it needs to get by the cops, kinda. I dont know if I would use the axles I have or not, maybe 44s front and rear.

Lawn Cher' said:
Get the MJ as a DD and build your XJ.

xA buttload to the power of a metric crapton.

Back