• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle Seal Leak

Jerms

NAXJA Forum User
I Have an 88' with dana 35 non c-clip rear axle that has an axle seal leak. I have the axle shaft out and i need to press off the bearing, I have a press and a bearing seperater but i cant get the seperator and tha axle in my press beacuse there isn't enough room between the axle flange and the bearing. I'm sure that there is away to do this, But i'm not sure how to. Is it possible to replace the seal without destroying the bearing by like cutting or beating it off? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jerms

No way to replace the seal w/ out sacrificing the brg. There should also be a steel collar or retaining ring in addition to the brg. pressed on on top of the brg. The factory prescribed method is to cut or drill the retaining ring as far as possible w/out touching the shaft itself, and then use a chisel or punch in the cut you just made to break the retainer. Then same process w/ the brg.. Kind of sounds scary but not really that bad. I find a cutoff wheel w/ a thin disc works best. The brg. you have to cut at an akward angle to avoid hitting the wheel flange or grinding in to the shaft. I always kind of spiraled around the shaft. Go slow and check by hitting it w/ the chisel every so often. Better to take your time and not nick the shaft. Oh yeah wear some safety glasses and heavy clothes when hitting that brg. I have a piece of metal permanently embedded in the soft (fat) tissue of my midsection. Very hard/ brittle steel. Let me know if you have any other Q's.

Brian

Back