• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What if... Fuel pump goes out on road/trail???temporary fix?

Tim88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
First of all, I have a 1988 Jeep cherokee 4.0, AW4 160-180k on jeep and 30k on engine. I *think* the fuel pump is going out... I am leaving for the beach sunday morning and have no time to replace it before then.

If, it does go bad on the trip (3hrs from home) Is there any temporary way I could put an external one in that would get me around and get me home? Where could I put it in that would do the least damage to the actual fuel line?

Also, what are some characteristics of a fuel pump going out?

Let me know, Tim

I don't know of any "quick fix" for this nasty event. But I know if you think your pump is headed South, it is a bad sign. I have replaced 2 of them in XJ's and both times they were VERY noisy during normal operations before ceasing to function. But I also know that this is not always the case. Most external fuel pumps do not draw the suction required, but that is just what I have garnished from some threads here and elsewhere. I may very well be wrong. Hopefully soemone will chime in with some good news.

-Rich

EDIT/PS- You don't happen to know the Rothwell's from Carriage Lane, do you? Old friend from college who used to own an XJ. This is good incentive to drop him a line.

Last edited:
if you know you're gonna need one soon, just buy it now and you can swap it if it becomes necessary. if the pump has 160-180k on it, you're probably right that it's going.

it's really a pretty easy replacement, IF the locking ring isn't rusted on. Get some PB Blaster and crawl under and spray it occasionally.

Well i'd recommend you go to the dealer and buy the fuel pump kit and have it with you just in case it does go bad on the road, you will have the part with you. I have a 88 XJ Pioneer, 4.0, AW4, NP231.

When at the dealer you will need to pick up:
1) fuel pump kit - contains rubber pieces, bosch pump and the wires
2) fuel tank filter/sock
3) O-rings for the tank flange

The book says to use a brass punch to turn the lock ring on the tank and to have less than 1/4 tank of gas in the tank.

I paid $175 for the fuel pump kit 4 years ago. It is a very nice kit. They even give you wires which allow you to connect the new pump with 1/4 inch spade terminals to the 1/8 inch spades on the float assy. The kit not cheap but it just drops in with no problems.

You do not need to drop the tank to change the fuel pump but I did mine on a lift and having the axle drom down did make a difference.

I recommend you change the fuel filter and the rubber hoses that go from the tank to the filter/return line. When you buy replacement hose make sure you get "fuel injection" hose not "carborator" fuel line.

I just picked up 3 feet of 3/8 and 3 feet of 5/16 fuel line. I will be changing my fuel filter this weekend. The parts store sold me carb fuel line and after 30,000 miles i have cranks running length wise of the line I installed.

I got my filter and fuel line at a good parts store. So if you want to renew the filter and rubber lines you will need in additon to the pump.
1) fuel fiter -$10
2) 3/8 fuel injection rubber fuel line - three feet
3) 5/16 fuel injection rubber fuel line - three feet
4) Hose clamps - 2 for 3/8 hose, 4 for the 5/16 hose

You will use a 1-2 inch piece of 5/16 hose on the exit side of the fuel filter and connect it to fuel rail. The filter has a 3/8 inlet and a 5/16 exit.

We were doing the pre-run for the Okanagan Jeep Jamboree and one of the YJs with us had fuel punp problems. Luckily we have a couple of Chrysler service technicians in our group. The recommendation was to bang on the fuel tank skid plate with the FLAT side of an axe. This would start the fuel pump for 5 - 10 minutes although the more times we tried it the shorter the run time was and the longer the banging required. We towed the YJ most of the way but it was handy to have short periods of power for the tougher spots or tight switch back corners. The fule pump was replaced back at camp after a parts run.

Rob

Both times The pump failed on my 96 there were no symptoms,it ran fine until it was parked and then failed to run when trying to start.
The "Beat on tank"worked for the first one,not the second.Replacement time was about 1/2 hr.And do replace the filter ,hoses,and clamps while your under there.
Wayne

Back