• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CCV and Intake sludge

Boonie Rat

NAXJA Forum User
Last weekend I replaced my exhaust manifold with a Banks Torquetube. While I had the intake manifold off I noticed the level of buildup inside it and the intake ports. I also noticed the carbon on the valves. I assume that the CCV is allowing this to happen with the oil vapor that comes in from the valve cover. Is there a way to stop this buildup? Can I put some type of catch can on this CCV tube to catch the oil and still allow the fumes to go through to the intake?

TIA

Just use a can of throttle body cleaner on every so often. Keeps things nice and clean. A guy I know suggested taking the hose of the brake booster and sucking fuel injector cleaner into the manifold through the hose while the engine is running. I tried it but I'd just cleaned the tb out so I don't know who much of an improvment it was.

Hawaiian Style said:
Just use a can of throttle body cleaner on every so often. Keeps things nice and clean. A guy I know suggested taking the hose of the brake booster and sucking fuel injector cleaner into the manifold through the hose while the engine is running. I tried it but I'd just cleaned the tb out so I don't know who much of an improvment it was.

I have done this before with Top Engine Cleaner. I was just amazed at the amount of crud that was in the engine. Mine is a 98 with 62k miles on it. I cannot imagine how much crud is in an engine with 100k miles.

sjx40250 said:
Ya gotta put down the duckie and clean that PVC once in a while. This is accomplished by removing the valve cover.

Thanks for the reply. I will take off the valve cover a have a look to see what type of oil or what is in there. I don't think that there is a PVC in there. If I recall there is just the "orifice" as its called. As far as this "duckie" is concerned; I was not even aware that I had picked it up. I will definitely put it down if I find that I have. :laugh2:

Back