• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator - CSF 2572 or…?

XJ-Mayhem

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I thought I had a lead on a used CSF 2572 for my 90 this past weekend, but turned out the guys a flake so no go.

Everywhere I have found a CSF 2572 it's currently out of stock, and I was hoping to have my cooling system wrapped up by this weekend to do the Molina Ghost Run.

Will I be kicking myself if I spend the $100 on a single core option from the local parts house and do my new water pump/ZJ clutch/flush?

Or is there any other suggestions I could look at in the sub $300 range that I might be able to find in stock now?

Or is it really worth it to just wait for the CSF?

This all aluminum Liland from Rock Auto doesn't look too bad, but I'd prefer all brass to be able to repair it should the need ever arise.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10332532&cc=1179996&pt=2172&jsn=774&jsn=774

In my opinion, the $100 parts store radiator is completely adequate. I would actually say its better than most aluminum radiators in the $300 price range based on the number of premature failures you read about from those units.

Keep in mind, this is the opinion of someone who lives up north where it is 100°F for maybe 2 weeks of the year.

Does anyone happen to have a part number for the Spectra rads everyone is talking about? Not sure if its the vehicle I chose, or my location, but I am not finding a aluminum Spectra listed on the Autozone website. (I chose a '94 XJ)

Does anyone happen to have a part number for the Spectra rads everyone is talking about? Not sure if its the vehicle I chose, or my location, but I am not finding a aluminum Spectra listed on the Autozone website. (I chose a '94 XJ)

The Autozone Duralast ones are made by Spectra.

You can also get them on Amazon, E-Bay, or even RockAuto.

In my opinion, the $100 parts store radiator is completely adequate. I would actually say its better than most aluminum radiators in the $300 price range based on the number of premature failures you read about from those units.

Keep in mind, this is the opinion of someone who lives up north where it is 100°F for maybe 2 weeks of the year.

Well I'll tell you I had bought 2 of those full welded aluminum units in a row and although they cooled fine, they both cracked in less than a year on the mail route. Got one of those cheap spectras in there now, so far its cooling fine but haven't hit the heat yet.

I would buy a $100 parts store radiator long before I dealt with some Craigslist flake over
A used radiator… especially if I had stuff to do this weekend.

My logic was I’m either dropping $300 on a copper/brass 3 core like the CSF, or bare minimum little to nothing. I didn’t want to spend $200 on a single row aluminum and plastic unit that didn’t work great. I was going to try and flush the one in the Jeep out and just run it again, but I peeked in with a camera and all the tubes were half blocked with crud.

Wound up finding a local guy who pulled the plastic tank off and cleaned the thing out for $95, just idling to bleed the system and it already seems to run cooler than it was.

I’ll keep my eye out for a decent unit to get on standby for if/when the one in it now can’t keep up anymore

Back