• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone with a Yukon grizzly locker?

ljobbins

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Automatic transmission
I have a new grizzly locker in an 8.8 and it has a ton of play and slams into gear. The shop that installed it called Yukon and they said it is normal for some play. But it is a lot of play and isn’t a small clunk. It’s very harsh and sounds like someone is smacking it with a sledgehammer when I change gears. The gears are tight and the pattern is good. The pinion moves about 120 degrees before the tires start to receive power. Anyone have a grizzly locker to tell me if it’s normal or if mine has excessive play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the pinion moves that much before engaging, something ain't right.......if the pattern truly is good, then you may have worn axle shaft splines, or something isn't right with the locker and gears.

I am assuming this the a full case locker.

Last edited:
When we called Yukon they said some clunking and play is normal but this seems excessive.

The Grizzly is patterned after the Detroit Locker. They have some play but you should not be getting a bang changing gears. My Dana44 Detroit I have run for 25 years has a fair amount of play and clunks going from D to R and back or putting it in gear the first time (automatic) and sometimes you can feel it going from accel to decell. Mine locks up too easy due to the internal spring that keeps the cogs from engaging being worn out.

A busted spring inside could lead to the issue you are having.

Anyone ever rebuild one? I did a quick google search and didn’t find a rebuild kit or anything.

If it’s as bad as you say, take it back to the shop that did the work.

I’d bet the pinion bearing or crush sleeve loosened up, resulting in massive backlash. Get under it and see if you can feel ANY axial slop in the pinion, like by pushing upwards on the driveshaft yoke. You shouldn’t feel ANY.

If it’s as bad as you say, take it back to the shop that did the work.

I’d bet the pinion bearing or crush sleeve loosened up, resulting in massive backlash. Get under it and see if you can feel ANY axial slop in the pinion, like by pushing upwards on the driveshaft yoke. You shouldn’t feel ANY.

Had exactly this happen to me. Shop took care of it right away.

Back