• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3rd Fuel Pump in 12 months

DrCabe

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 4.0 with 145K miles. December 2003. I had a new fuel pump installed. I drove it approx 4000 miles and I then needed another fuel pump in August of last year. I just figured the first guy screwed me and since I was out of town at the time I did not pursue any warranty. I am now on the road again but in Austin Texas. Same thing, another fuel pump has gone bad. The mechanic told me there was some kind of sludge that was common in the 96 Cherokee. Even though he gave me a good price on a new fuel pump and tank he couldn't guarantee that was the problem.

Is anyone familiar with this problem?
Was there some kind of double secret warranty I dont know about?
Whats yall's recommendation?

I'm leaning towards the tank and fuel pump and keeping the Jeep otherwise my other option is replacing the fuel pump and trading it in. The Jeep runs great and if $700 for a new tank and fuel pump will fix it then I will fix it.

HORSE SHIT!!! $700!!?? (Are you on the road and not at home? Possibly one of the members could help you out and save some money...)
That sounds like a TON of money for a fuel pump and tank...I put a pump in my 94zj and the pump cost me $300. Mine is a bastard year though and EVERYTHING is expensive!

I have a plastic tank on the 94 and My mechanic told me that if you put "heat" and injector cleaner into the tank it causes the plastic to "ball up" and that gets into the pump and knocks it out. I took the tank off and wiped the inside out with a rag real good.

My 95 has a steel tank and if I did go with a new tank I would spend the extra on a steel one and never have that problem again.

Hope this helps!

JC95

http://webepc.com/cgi-bin/sewse?/u/www/webepc.com/cmm/scripts/epc12.cmm+discap2

https://www.rockauto.com/applet3.html

At Rock Auto the pump is 124.00 and the tank is 99.00 There is not that much labor involved to charge the rest in labor. Any mechanic will get the same pump you get from these guys - difference is he is charging you LIST PRICE! which is usually 2x the price.

Hope this helps.

Aftermarket pumps? Did they replace the "sock" filter on the pump? Possable corroded connection feeding current to the pump causing low voltage, thus high current? Do you run it below 1/4 tank often, fuel keeps the pump cool.

HTH

Rev

Back