• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Mount install time?

Musdog

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the motor mounts on my 98xj. I have a set a Brown Dog mounts but after getting quotes from shops of 2hrs a per side I figured it is something I could just do myself.

I have never done mounts before, and it seems easy enough. I am just wondering how long it would take and where I should place the jack?

From what I gather you have to loosen the 4 bolts on the transmission bracket, and you can jack the motor up just a little to take the pressure off the mounts for replacement, but I have seen several different locations for jack placement.

Thanks for any help. New to the whole XJ adventure so sorry for the question.

If you have Brown Dog motor mounts then I would think you should also have Brown Dog's instructions. Have you read through them? They are some of the best written instructions I have ever seen in the automotive world. I don't know what the instructions look like for just the motor mounts themselves, but I know the instructions for the block plates even tell you which side to do first.

If you don't have the instructions from Brown Dog then get them.

As to jacking up the engine, make sure you have a good 2x6 or comparable block of wood to distribute weight on the oil pan. Provided your oil pan has not been used as a skid plate or landing pad it should be able to support the block provided you distribute the weight.

The other thing you should have on hand is a good drift pin/punch. A good tapered drift pin is invaluable to lining things up.

Beyond that it is just a dirty job.

I was trying to plan ahead, they just got deviled today. Sitting at the Post Office. But sounds easy enough.

Another dumb question. If a steering box brace was installed before the mounts will that cause an issue while supporting/lifting the engine slightly? Asking as I just installed a new pump and box and don't want to break anything.

Sorry but my engine skills have been basic up to this point. I am sure I will become an expert after owning one of these Jeeps.

PB'ed the bolts everyday for a week..
got no love..

add heat they all moved pretty easily.

Completely did one side,
then moved to other.
Alignment wasn't an issue.

Back