• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.1 Renault Diesel MPG

birkes

NAXJA Forum User
Finally bought a Jeep XJ (2.1 Renault Turbo Diesel)

Drove it home 230 miles, hilly terrain.
35 MPG (thirtyfive) !!!

(Read a lot about this engine, so i do know there is a lot of potential problems.
And yes, its slow.)

I think DieselPioneer (or EcoMike ?) posted a solution to air in the cooling system, drilling a hole or something ?
Can't find it, can someone help ??

Is it closed loop, renix style? I added an inline filler neck "T" near the radiator inlet, passenger side to mine.

It also helps to disconnect the water pump feed hose to heater core-fill bottle "T", hose connection at the water pump, and the water pump to upper radiator hose at the water pump while filling the OEM system!!! That gets 90% of the normally trapped air out.

Also swap the bottle cap for a Volvo cap, and put a 3/8" brass nipple into the lower plastic bottle plastic 1/2" nipple, to keep the nipple from deforming and leaking later.

Congrats on the diesel buy!

Got any pics of this thing? I'd love to see what a diesel looks like in a Jeep. :) Also, while I know diesel has been a long time option for export only jeeps (BOO! Us wanty them in the states!), what were the engines used? I know the VM motors and mercedes 3.0 in the newest stuff... but was there VMs put in XJs or TJs? Good luck with the french motor...

Nice!

I have only seen and worked on one of these at the dealer back in the day.....

I think they have 4.56 or 4.11 gears, add a TerraFlex Terra low to the t-case and crawl up anything idling :)

Finally bought a Jeep XJ (2.1 Renault Turbo Diesel)

Drove it home 230 miles, hilly terrain.
35 MPG (thirtyfive) !!!

(Read a lot about this engine, so i do know there is a lot of potential problems.
And yes, its slow.)

I think DieselPioneer (or EcoMike ?) posted a solution to air in the cooling system, drilling a hole or something ?
Can't find it, can someone help ??

Got any pics of this thing? I'd love to see what a diesel looks like in a Jeep. :) Also, while I know diesel has been a long time option for export only jeeps (BOO! Us wanty them in the states!), what were the engines used? I know the VM motors and mercedes 3.0 in the newest stuff... but was there VMs put in XJs or TJs? Good luck with the french motor...

It was a Renault diesel. The same one as used in the Winnebago LeSharo motorhomes. Gutless wonder.

It was a Renault diesel. The same one as used in the Winnebago LeSharo motorhomes. Gutless wonder.

I think there were some with Nissan diesel engine jeeps in Canada, and the Pacific area too. I ran across an Airforce MJ-Tug for sale once on Ebay, it was a modified MJ, with a forklift style counter weight on the rear for towing Airforce planes on the airfield, that an SD-22 Nissan diesel engine. Top speed was about 10 MPH, LOL, but it could pull its weight in gold, LOL!
IT was old, but had low mileage, LOL!

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/1004dp_diesel_jeep_cj_10a/viewall.html

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=960416

http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredvehicles/154_1008_1985_jeep_cj10a_wide_eyed/viewall.html

http://forums.off-road.com/jeep-sho...c-jeep-cj10a-aircraft-tug-have-questions.html

I can't find any references to the Nissan diesel engine jeeps today, I know they used the Nissan SD-33 in the IH Scout II, and I thought I saw some Canadian XJs with the Nissan diesels, mid to late 1980s for sale around 2003-04.

You will find the post about trapped air in the cooling system in the thread titled, "renault diesel 2.1 parts". In summary, the trapped gasses build up/collect in the radiator and displace the coolant in the radiator such that the engine eventually overheats but the radiator is cold to the touch. Simply remove the rubber gasket on the plunger portion of the radiator cap. This allows a little leakby from the top of the radiator to the overflow bottle effectively removing the gasses in the radiator and putting them in the overflow bottle where they can be removed from the system.

Nelson

Back