• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Renix XJ Died while Driving-- 30amp Breaker?

Stone4140

NAXJA Forum User
So my XJ died on my way to work this morning. Coincidentally after I had done a bunch of maintenance work this weekend to prevent this situation. Anyways after about an hour of trying different things, I put the radio fuse into the 30amp breaker location in the fuse panel and it started right up. From online diagrams it looks like that breaker is for power seats etc... Why would that have anything to do with ignition and spark? I assumed it was an electrical issue the way it died. It was an immediate drop in RPM. It would still turn over and all the electrical accessories still worked, but I could tell it wasn't getting spark. Any idea what that metal breaker/fuse does that could effect spark? There is also a red wire next to it that is powering fog lights. I've only had the jeep a few days and still getting to know the ins and outs.

Thanks,

BTW I do not have any of the features indicated for what that breaker does if that helps

11 - 30 Amp (Circuit Breaker)

Power Door Locks, Power Seats, Trailer Towing Wiring Harness.

Check if your brake master cylinder has been leaking fluid down on the fuse box firewall connector?

Are the contact in the fuse box corroded?

I just checked my 88FSM. The 11-30 relay is in line from the door locks etc. to the clock (if you have one) and then to the ignition switch. It is the orange wire connected to the ignition switch. I 'd suggest you pull the 30 amp, clean up the contacts well, get a new 30 amp relay. Also inspect your orange wire , at the ignition switch, to make sure some of the wire strands are not broken. Then make sure the orange wire connector is making a good connection on the ignition switch. There is also the possibility that the ignition switch may be bad.

Best regards,

CJR

I double-checked the 88 FSM wiring schematic. If the ignition switch is randomly bad, it can also randomly kill the voltage to the ignition coil.

Best regards,

CJR

Thanks guys,

I didn't see any fluid leaks near the fuse box panel. I cleaned up that 30 amp connector. Strangely the car runs fine without the fuse even in. So I'm no longer thinking that is the issue. However now I remember right before it firing back up that I had disconnected the positive battery cable. I'm now wondering what could have been "reset" and fixed by pulling the battery terminal? I have completed steps 1-5 in Cruisers tips.

Thanks,

That fuse has nothing to do with your issue.

What results did you get from Tip 5?

Ever checked CPS output, refreshed it's connection?

I reviewed your tips and actually never did 5. I'll get at that tonight. However I am at work and I just drove from one building to the next and after I turned it off it's not starting again. I'm actually okay with it because at least I'm not on the road. So I installed the REMII last night and I swear my TPS was showing 17 at idle yesterday and earlier today. Now when I just drove it briefly it was showing 7 at idle and barley moving up much even when driving. Does this sound like it could be the issue? Should I put a new one in here at work (if I can locate one). Thanks again and I will definitely do step 5 and check CPS output if and when I get it home tonight:)

Thanks,

Oh and another thing. Both times this has happened there is a noticeable fuel smell. Not sure if it's from overcracking, but it seems to be like that right away.

I reviewed your tips and actually never did 5. I'll get at that tonight. However I am at work and I just drove from one building to the next and after I turned it off it's not starting again. I'm actually okay with it because at least I'm not on the road. So I installed the REMII last night and I swear my TPS was showing 17 at idle yesterday and earlier today. Now when I just drove it briefly it was showing 7 at idle and barley moving up much even when driving. Does this sound like it could be the issue? Should I put a new one in here at work (if I can locate one). Thanks again and I will definitely do step 5 and check CPS output if and when I get it home tonight:)

Thanks,

COMPLETE those Tips.

COMPLETE those Tips.

Okay so I drove back to work with my tools and a friend. The CPS checked out consistently over .5 volts. Closer to .55. Pulled a plug and I’m getting absolutely zero spark. This past weekend I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and cleaned the ignition coil as part of the 5 steps. Ran great and then bam yesterday one complete die while driving, after an hour started back up. Drove to work dies and I’ve tried multiple times with no luck. Should I start by replacing the coil? Can the CPS still be bad and send no spark? Are there other sensors that control spark? This was not a weak spark, it’s dark here and there was nothing. Thanks for all the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay so I drove back to work with my tools and a friend. The CPS checked out consistently over .5 volts. Closer to .55. Pulled a plug and I’m getting absolutely zero spark. This past weekend I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and cleaned the ignition coil as part of the 5 steps. Ran great and then bam yesterday one complete die while driving, after an hour started back up. Drove to work dies and I’ve tried multiple times with no luck. Should I start by replacing the coil? Can the CPS still be bad and send no spark? Are there other sensors that control spark? This was not a weak spark, it’s dark here and there was nothing. Thanks for all the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The CPS signal passes through the C101 connector..........Tip 2. Have you completed that?

One more bit of information that may be helpful. When I was replacing the O2 sensor this weekend I noticed that a sensor on the side of the transmission was busted up. It had some sort of blue material inside it. I tried to figure out what it was and all I could figure out is it is for reverse lights. I tried putting it together back in place as best as possible and there were no issues at that point so I didn’t think much of it. Not sure if this could have anything to do with the no spark issue and I’m not sure I even know that I identified it correctly. I have a manual transmission and was told it was a rebuilt Ax15.

Back