• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PCM compatibility: 2000 PCM in a 2001 XJ?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'm noticing that the PCM part numbers between 2000 and 2001 for California emissions XJs are different, which is strange... Can anyone say whether or not a 2000 XJ PCM will work in a 2001 XJ?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: This is NOT a diagnostic thread. Only a compatibility question.

Should be fine as long as both are the same emissions package (federal vs california.)

Yep, good deal. That's what I wanted to hear... Looking at 2000/2001 FSM connector pinouts, the PCM connectors are 100% identical between both years (on identically-optioned vehicles). Just wondering why there are different part numbers... Maybe different tuning parameters?

Also, is the VIN number returned via OBDII dependent upon the PCM or the BCM?

There is no BCM in an XJ, it is returned by the ECU. I'd bet the only difference between 00/01 assuming same manual vs auto and fed/cali emissions is minor updates to the firmware but I'm not 100% on that.

What are the two part numbers you have? I can look them up later and see exactly what they fit if I get a second.

2001 50-state emissions ECU: 56041801AD
2000 49-state emissions ECU: 56041634AG

Dropped right in and eliminated the secondary bank of O2 sensors entirely (the PIDs disappeared from the OBD2 tree).

Everything works fantastically. Fuel economy has improved, and my heat soak issues are completely and entirely eliminated (largely due to new injector O-rings).

my heat soak issues are completely and entirely eliminated (largely due to new injector O-rings).
What bearing do the injector o-rings have on heat soak?

Also, where are your O2 sensors? If you went from a cali emissions to a federal emissions the upstream O2 sensor needs to see all the cylinders.

Back