• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel rail to> fuel line connector issue?

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of replacing my exhaust manifold and I came across this:

(click for bigger)

The top of the one clip seems broken off. Is this something to be concerned about? I don't remember it breaking off in the process, it could have been like that. There's a little free play in the line, but I imagine that's normal.

Should I reinstall everything and turn the ignition on and check for leaks? Or is this a common enough part to find at NAPA and replace it? I don't want to pay $50 for a stupid clip from the dealer.

I think you should just check for leaks, and if none don't worry about it.

Those "lips" are for disconnecting, and missing one or both shouldn't effect the lockup.

If you're really concerned, Dorman makes some replacement clips. 800-016 (quick google- think I paid $5.00 for the package of 5/16 and 3/8). I wouldn't worry about that outer bit, as long as the clips are intact inside the female coupling.

If you're really concerned, Dorman makes some replacement clips. 800-016. I wouldn't worry about that outer bit, as long as the clips are intact inside the female coupling.

Dorman eh, is that just an aftermarket part thats found at local chain stores?

I'm not sure how the inside bits are. I mean if it somehow got tweaked enough to break the outer clip, maybe the inside is busted too, who knows? I guess the only way to find out is run it and see if it leaks/catches on fire. :)

Canada isn't on Mars, man. Quick disconnects are on all sorts of vehicles. I found these by looking in the parts section of the local autoparts stores. I'm sure there are Dorman or Help brand parts, or their equivalent, all over this continent. I'd bet they even sell them to Canadians.

Canada isn't on Mars, man.
Sometimes I think it is. :(

Quick disconnects are on all sorts of vehicles. I found these by looking in the parts section of the local autoparts stores. I'm sure there are Dorman or Help brand parts, or their equivalent, all over this continent. I'd bet they even sell them to Canadians.

Alright I'll hit up the locals and see if I can find anything. If not, I'll check and see if it leaks once it's back together, and if it does, I'll try the dealer.

Mercy buckets.

I can't recall the exact size, but it's either a 5/16ths, or 3/8ths quick disconnect. The same part is sold under the brands Help, Dorman, and Motormite here. They are in every autoparts store here under one name or another, but you'll be able to find them.

Bun chants. :)

Forgot to mention, the reason I went looking for this damned thing, is that the local dealership didn't stock any. They'd just send a runner out to scrounge them up
locally. Jerks.

Last edited:
Ok it's back together and the only leak I can find is happening from the joint I circled in red here:

Does the repair kit replace that part, or is that part of the hose?

Looks like part of the hose crimp to me.

also - Dorman is aftermarket stuff not OEM, but I've never had anything but good luck with their products. As soon as I have some spare cash I'll be ordering their transmission line set, as it's the cheapest I can find anywhere AND I trust them.

Looks like part of the hose crimp to me.

also - Dorman is aftermarket stuff not OEM, but I've never had anything but good luck with their products. As soon as I have some spare cash I'll be ordering their transmission line set, as it's the cheapest I can find anywhere AND I trust them.

Goddamn, it is the hose crimp. Why would that start leaking, argh.

My solution is to cut the rubber fuel line, take off all the quick disconnect stuff, and then slide the rubber line over the fuel rail nipple and use a fuel line hose clamp.

Only issue I'm having at the moment is that the rubber line won't slide over the slight flare in the middle of the rail nipple. I might need to go with a slightly bigger hose.

boil up a pot of water and dunk the end of the line in it just before putting it on. Worked great to get my old stiff gas tank filler tube over the barb on the new gas tank, and the new gas tank was the wrong year so it was 1/4" too large...

EDIT: make sure you shake all the water out of the line before installing, of course

Or heat it with a hair dryer. Maybe plug the end of the hose with a bolt or big nail or something so that the gas fumes don't see the heater element. Keep a fire extinguisher around. (I warn you to do this with exteme caution, so don't hold me liable if you blow yourself up.) On second thought use kastein's idea with a plug in the line to keep the water out.

just tried the hot water & blow dryer method. It will slide over it, but not very much. I need a bigger hose.

It says 5/16" on it, so I'll grab some 3/8" and a 3/8 > 5/16 coupler, and a fuel hose clamp or two.

The secret to sliding a rubber hose over anything is glycerin. Get a small bottle at a drug store for a buck, lube up the inside of the rubber, and on it will slide. The glycerin causes no harm to anything in the system.

Petroleum jelly or silicone spray and brute force.

Won't silicone spray poison the catalytic? I'd go with petroleum jelly!

(paranoid about that since I read it somewhere on here... including proper areas to use RTV and silicone on, and areas to avoid)

While I wouldn't stand and spray silicone directly into the intake, I wouldn't be afraid of using a shot in the end of a hose.

Silicone that is not sensor safe will quickly destroy the O2 sensor.

So I ended up doing exactly as I planned - using a 3/8" fuel line over the nipple with 2 clamps, connected to a 90 degree 3/8->5/16 coupler. Worked perfectly, no more leaking gas. :)

Back