• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Tank/Fuel Pump Question

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
I dented the tank in my 92.

I bought a tank out of a 96 to replace it.

I didn't realize the sending unit was different.

So I swapped the pump from my 92 tank into the 96 tank.

Didn't appear to have any issues.

So I put everything back together and checked to make sure nothing was leaking.

Then I checked it a second time, and realized that my gauge is reading completely empty(there's 8 gallons in it now), and the pump is whining intermittently.

It just start and run though, the pump is just noisy.

Is there a difference between the two tanks on the inside that causes the gauge floater to not sit properly or something?

Any ideas why my previously functioning pump would now be making noise?

Also, I think this might be part of my issue.

Untitled-2.jpg

When you put the pump assembly back in, those tabs line up, then do they get turned either direction? Or do they just sit there and you install the big lock ring?

Man now that I think about it, that'd explain my gauge issue, since I turned it about 5 degrees.

Hi,
The tabs you have highlighted just line up and it's the locking ring which turns clockwise to lock it all into place. A good tip from "RichP" is to file a sharper edge on the tags on the locking ring, this makes it easier to get them started. Another good tip is to superglue the O ring in place, this will stop it moving around.
It took me several attempts to get the rubber foot on the unit seated properly in the tank, it's not a job I want to do too often.
I think you need to take your unit out and make sure it is all lined up correctly.
Good luck.

After recently replacing the pump in my '93 with a carter pump (there junk, dont ever use one in a jeep) i noticed that the sender appeared not to work, it allways read empty even when i knew the tank was full. In a fit of iritation i remembered what my grand father said "if it dont work, get a bigger hammer". One ping on the bottom of the tank and it free'd up the float and we were back in buisness. The Bosch original pump was noisy but worked consistantly. The Carter is quiet but does not like bumpy road and craps out after about 25000 miles. The Master from Auto Zone has yet to prove itself but i like the design.

Got it fixed using the old fuel pump.

I'm just an idiot and turned the sending unit when I put it in.

It stopped the awful noise, and also appears to have fixed my gauge issue. There's not much gas in there, so I won't know until I fuel up.

Thanks guys.

Back