NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 11th, 2021, 09:25
NAXJA Forum User

Re: lockers! what ya running and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris420 View Post
I have been through some really tuff stuff Rubicon, Fordyce, Barret Lake it has never failed to perform. As far as strength goes I pulled a YJ with a bent frame and broken rear leaf up Cadillac Hill when I had an open rear diff and front true trac. Itís tuff and I donít plan on changing it for anything else. Not trying to sell you on it but using a lunch box in the front with 37s could be a bomb waiting to go off and if you want something with no air line or electronics involved the tru trac would be your best option.
That's an impressive endorsement for the Trutrac. Its interesting to see the range of experiences that people have with Trutracs. Opinions exist at pretty much both ends of the scale, ranging from a waste of money to great stuff.
Old February 11th, 2021, 14:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I have a Yukon Grizzly in my rear 8.8 and it only unlocks when I do a U turn other than that itís like a spool. Driving it in the snow is sketchy itís like drifting all the time. If the snow is deep like 3 feet it works great but snow and icy roads I am all over the place.
like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbraketorque View Post
That's an impressive endorsement for the Trutrac. Its interesting to see the range of experiences that people have with Trutracs. Opinions exist at pretty much both ends of the scale, ranging from a waste of money to great stuff.
man isn't that the truth. I almost went trutrac for the more LSD type setup up front but saw a video or something where they said it didn't engage in lifted tire situations.
Old February 11th, 2021, 14:49
NAXJA Forum User

with bigger tires anyway....
Old February 11th, 2021, 15:25
NAXJA Member

Trutracs front and rear (D30 chromo shafts and reinforced, Ford 8.8 chromo shafts). Modified 5.3l V8 and 33" tires. No problems and don't have to worry about stuff breaking. Moab, Rubicon and some other lesser known trails without really hitting anything i couldn't do. It is a dedicated trail rig originally built for overlanding but i built a newer overlanding rig, now its strictly for four wheeling.

When you want to be someone you drive a lifted JK, when you already know who you are you drive an old XJ.
Old February 11th, 2021, 15:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
Trutracs front and rear (D30 chromo shafts and reinforced, Ford 8.8 chromo shafts). Modified 5.3l V8 and 33" tires. No problems and don't have to worry about stuff breaking. Moab, Rubicon and some other lesser known trails without really hitting anything i couldn't do. It is a dedicated trail rig originally built for overlanding but i built a newer overlanding rig, now its strictly for four wheeling.
sounds like a solid rig!
Old February 11th, 2021, 16:26
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I have been through some really tuff stuff Rubicon, Fordyce, Barret Lake it has never failed to perform. As far as strength goes I pulled a YJ with a bent frame and broken rear leaf up Cadillac Hill when I had an open rear diff and front true trac. Itís tuff and I donít plan on changing it for anything else. Not trying to sell you on it but using a lunch box in the front with 37s could be a bomb waiting to go off and if you want something with no air line or electronics involved the tru trac would be your best option.
Don't know if I would call it a full case locker, but its more substantial that what I consider lunch box locker, Spartan, etc

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old February 11th, 2021, 16:56
NAXJA Member

Grizzly lockers front and rear with 4.88’s, chromos, and 35’s. Went grizzly just out of simplicity and strength. Had a truetrac in front at first but wanted a true locker. Didn’t want to deal with air lines or wires or the added cost of selectables. Obviously they’re ideal when they work but it was a no brainer for me. I will say I can’t really flat tow with the auto lockers though. So I have to trailer it or pull the front shaft out to tow it.
Old February 11th, 2021, 18:56
NAXJA Forum User

lockers! what ya running and why?

Definitely love my grizzly but maybe these shafts don't.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old February 11th, 2021, 19:43
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
Since a TT stops working if a tire lifts, I guess this means your XJ has enough suspension articulation to keep all four tires sufficiently planted for the trails you've driven? I've been contemplating running TT front and rear (TT already installed at the rear), but I really like the idea of a selectable locker in the front to pull through any unexpected low traction situations.
Old February 11th, 2021, 23:06
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbraketorque View Post
^^^

Itís definitely interesting seeing the range of experiences with TTs. Iíve had friends tell me ďmy rear locker is disconnectedĒ and Iíve given it gas over and over watching my front driver not spin. Iíve used the brakes, that doesnít work sometimes. They just seem to be really overpowered by my 35s in deep snow and some rocky situations Iíve been in. The wheels are planted, they just donít turn sometimes. Maybe mine are broke. Lol.
Old February 12th, 2021, 02:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan03 View Post
Definitely love my grizzly but maybe these shafts don't.

LMK what you do for replacement inners. I'd like to do the right axles first time around.

Were the fronts turned quite a bit?

Old February 12th, 2021, 02:17
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickandrudder View Post
^^^

Itís definitely interesting seeing the range of experiences with TTs. Iíve had friends tell me ďmy rear locker is disconnectedĒ and Iíve given it gas over and over watching my front driver not spin. Iíve used the brakes, that doesnít work sometimes. They just seem to be really overpowered by my 35s in deep snow and some rocky situations Iíve been in. The wheels are planted, they just donít turn sometimes. Maybe mine are broke. Lol.
Do your tires spin same direction with both tires off the ground?

Old February 12th, 2021, 07:00
NAXJA Forum User

lockers! what ya running and why?

I'll be going cheap on shafts. Also thought about gussetting ears. Don't think I was turning much it popped i thought maybe it was the grizzly doing its thing.

Im in search of oem shafts. Spicer 760 joints

Old February 12th, 2021, 07:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickandrudder View Post
^^^

Itís probably broken then. They are gear driven so I donít see how it would work when there is nothing to slip. If it was clutch driven then I could see that happening.
Old February 12th, 2021, 07:29
NAXJA Forum User

How it wouldn’t work if there is nothing to slip.