NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > Land Use / Off Topic and other Forums > Tools and Garages
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Tools and Garages This is a place to share about the tools and workspaces used to craft your latest masterpiece.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:27
NAXJA Forum User

The Vise Thread

What is the best vise you've ever used? I don't have one, I need one, and I don't want to buy a POS. I found a Charles Parker vise with a patent date of 1930 on craigslist. I will probably be picking it up tomorrow night, but I'm interested to see what other makes exist.
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:34
NAXJA Forum User

Re: The Vise Thread

i use an old school craftsman.
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:55
NAXJA Forum User

yeah i've used one of those too. the clamp on the right side of it wore out and no longer bites. other than not staying clamped, it was in good shape. i'm looking for the next level up in durability. something that's old as dirt and showing little to no signs of wear.
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:59
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Well, the world's oldest profession is certainly a vice... and it's as old as dirt and showing no signs of stopping.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old July 13th, 2010, 22:44
Just a Lobster Minion

I have a nice wilton that I picked up as a "scratch and dent" item from Redmond Machine for like 60% off. It had a couple scratches in the paint (which was why it was a S&D) and I was thinking, its a vice and it will be scratched the first time it gets used.
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:31
NAXJA Forum User

I've heard good things about Wiltons.
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:56
NAXJA Forum User

just found this http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...h-vise-158956/
Old November 25th, 2010, 20:31
NAXJA Forum User

The first two are the 974 that I got a few months back. I only just got the wrench that goes with it yesterday, though.

Here's the Simplex 41S (49lbs, made in Woonsocket) that I gave to my father. The ruler in the pictures is 12" long.

From L to R, C. Parker 994, C. Parker 975 (missing the anti-finger pinching device), C. Parker 974, Columbian with bent handle, Wilton. The 994 is going to a friend.

My 4

The Wilton got beat on (it's also missing its back cap)

Little guys (that's a 24" ruler)

Same ruler next to the C. Parker 994. It weighs 89lbs.

5 minutes with my torch and hammer on the purple Columbian.

Somehow I managed to forget to take a picture of the 975 next to the 24" ruler... But it's pretty much the same length. According to the catalog, it weighs 104lbs.

I'm going to buy the rest of them with the intent to keep a couple for myself and sell most of the others. I might go get them Saturday... We'll see.

I realized I didn't have one of the 975 next to the ruler.

I have access to 13 other old vises in various size. I plan on buying and reselling them. Right now they're just sitting, not getting used.
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:29
NAXJA Forum User

I am pretty sure mine was blue when my dad bought it at a garage sale in about 1975.
I don't know who made it but it still works well.
Old November 26th, 2010, 20:05
NAXJA Forum User

I've broken two harbor freight ones. Not using a breaker bar on the handle either... stay clear of that chinese pot metal...
Old November 28th, 2010, 19:41
NAXJA Forum User

back in 82 our high school was closing its metal shop. i was an auto shop dude and the teacher said "take a couple vices if you want" so i grabbed 3 large wiltons. i still have them and beat the crap out of them too. still work awsome. they are the only vice to buy IMHO.
Old November 28th, 2010, 19:44
NAXJA Forum User

If I were to buy a new vise, Wilton all the way. There is a lot of good, old iron out there other than Wilton, once again - IMHO. Each company's design has its benefits and uses.