• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions on moving

Luke95

NAXJA Forum User
Not exactly xj related but, as a young machinist from ct I am thinking of moving out to the Carolina's and looking for jobs as a machinist. Do any of you know what the going hourly rate would be for a Cnc machinist?

Also is their any thing I should know before I just leave ct?

Also what kind of wheeling is their? I prefer rocks over mud.

Not exactly xj related but, as a young machinist from ct I am thinking of moving out to the Carolina's and looking for jobs as a machinist. Do any of you know what the going hourly rate would be for a Cnc machinist?

Also is their any thing I should know before I just leave ct?

Also what kind of wheeling is their? I prefer rocks over mud.

South Carolina or North Carolina?

I worked for Eaton as a CNC Machinist in Greenwood SC.

Small town, Big Corporation.

I started out at 12 per hr as a temporary. Got hired on at 14 per hr. When I left that department I was at top pay at 19.75 per hour. You could make $1.50 per hour more if you had a certificate or degree in machining.

I had a degree in Engineering and apparently, that doesn't count. :)

I hear that big Corporations in larger towns go upwards of 25 per hour.

A friend of mine works at a privately owned shop. Manual machinist. I believe he makes right at 22 per hour.

So, to answer your question... around here the going rate is between 15-25ish per hour depending on experience.

Wheeling in SC? There's Gulches in Laurens SC. That's it.

NC has Uwharrie.

In the vicinity are Black Mountain, Morris Mtn, Uwharrie, Durhamtown, etc...

I will have a nims certification and I have a years worth of experience running mazak 4 axis machines

I'd be going to settle around manning South Carolina.

Well, you'll be eons from any good wheeling.

I don't know what kind of machining jobs that area offers. You'll be about 3 hours from me.

If you had to I'm sure you could find something decent in Columbia. That's about an hour from Manning.

Well, you'll be eons from any good wheeling.

I don't know what kind of machining jobs that area offers. You'll be about 3 hours from me.

If you had to I'm sure you could find something decent in Columbia. That's about an hour from Manning.

That sucks, I am kinda bummed by that. Colombia is a valid possibility. It sucks on the wheeling, we're I'm at I'm just an hour from some great wheeling and a few other nac guys

Thanks for that lowrange!

You'll be 3 hours from me. You'll be 1 hour from Ghost. Since SC only has like 2 or 3 active NAXJA SEC members...

The closest wheeling would be Uwharrie, Gulches and Durhamtown.

From Manning:

Uwharrie - 2.5 hours
Durahmtown - 3 hours
Gulches - 3 hours

Everything past that is 5 hours or more.

Well in that case ill need a trailer I don't want to break shit their.

Thanks for the info, I want to wheel crozet and unwarrie soon!

GL! NC has more in that industry I believe. Especially Charlotte/Concord area.

I can't wait to leave my shit hole of a state.
That sounds promising to me. I want to go to some place I can advance. I don't see how I'll be able to do it in ct with the current shit for government and lack of jobs.

I work for Graham-White which is owned by Faiveley North America. Our CNC operators top out at 17+/- here in VA, set-up/programers make more. Cost of living is low around here though so its proportional. We also have a plant in Greenville SC called Ellcon, I don't think they do any machine work there though, its all done in Roanoke/Salem VA where I work.

We have rocks around here, Potts Mountain is our local trail.

Thanks for the info! I am definitely moving out if this shit hole state. 10$ an hour and the cost of living is way to high.

It seems that besides the wheeling their is all kinds of perks to moving!

Thanks for the info! I am definitely moving out if this shit hole state. 10$ an hour and the cost of living is way to high.

It seems that besides the wheeling their is all kinds of perks to moving!

If wheeling location was a factor I'd go to somewhere in the center of TN.

Or Utah. Or Colorado.

There's Jobs everywhere.

Also there was a gun manufacturer to relocate to the Horry county area recently. Or at least it announced they were.

I know about the wheeling but I love the Carolina's, I spent a lot of time their ad a kid.
And 3 hours to wheeling is ok.

Yeah, it's a pretty nice place.

I assume you grew up in Manning?

I am from ct but my grand parents have a place their and I have been going down their for 10 years so it really grew on me

Wherever you move to, you might also want to look at medical device manufacturing jobs. Not great wheeling and i personally wouldn't move there but take a look at Warsaw, Indiana and any of the larger companies (Zimmer, Stryker, biomet, etc.) or any of the job shops that support them.
I don't know about NC but certainly for TN, there are a lot of implant manufacturers or more likely their suppliers who could use you if you can program and run milling centers. Another option might be a place like Huntsville, Alabama where there's a lot of military and NASA work, plus it's a great location for wheeling around there. Good luck man.

Thanks I need it.

I'm seriously considering tn I loved it out their. Wheeling is a priority for me though

Back