• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Positve battery cable replacement

spaulman

NAXJA Member #769
I broke the connector that goes from the battery to the PDC on my 95 XJ. The other positive cable runs from the battery to the starter and has a weird terminal at the starter end. There is another wire (green) that also runs from the same terminal at the starter to a connector near the PDC. Of course, no local auto parts places stock this setup.

So, I'm thinking I can pick up a generic cable from the auto parts store and eliminate the funky starter terminal and just use a regular lug. I would cut the green wire at the starter and just crimp a regular lug on the end. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

The other issue is that the wire from the battery to the PDC has two terminals. It appears that both terminals at the PDC are connected together. Do both need to be connected or can I get away with just one?

I don't need an upgrade in this situation, just need to get this thing running again ASAP.

spaulman said:
I broke the connector that goes from the battery to the PDC on my 95 XJ. The other positive cable runs from the battery to the starter and has a weird terminal at the starter end. There is another wire (green) that also runs from the same terminal at the starter to a connector near the PDC. Of course, no local auto parts places stock this setup.

So, I'm thinking I can pick up a generic cable from the auto parts store and eliminate the funky starter terminal and just use a regular lug. I would cut the green wire at the starter and just crimp a regular lug on the end. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

The other issue is that the wire from the battery to the PDC has two terminals. It appears that both terminals at the PDC are connected together. Do both need to be connected or can I get away with just one?

I don't need an upgrade in this situation, just need to get this thing running again ASAP.

Yes, it is possible to simply re-terminate the starter motor end of the cable - it's usually what I advise people to do. The moulded rubber block is there for convenience (and to make the OEM stuff cost more.)

The PDC does require that the two posts are tied together (you have two BUSS bars in that version,) but simply clipping the cable off of the lug used and leaving the lug in place will serve. Again, it is the advice I usually give (I've got measurements for the lugs, I just haven't found a reliable source yet.)

When you are ready to upgrade, we can talk - but this should get you back on the road quickly...

Decided to grab the cable from the 96 and replace the entire set on the 96 with your cables. Sending you a PM now.

Back