• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Cable Replacement

Yankees888

NAXJA Forum User
My little brother has a 98 XJ I6. It was mine I gave it to him after I got married. He has been having some issues with his battery cables/ terminals so we went to go get new ones.

I thought it would be in and out fairly easy job. We traced the positive battery cable down to the starter and there was a connector with a green wire and the positive cable in it. What is that green cable to and is there anyway to replace his battery cables without getting a new one of those connectors to the starter?

Its been a while since I upgraded the battery cables on my '98, but IIRC... the wire you are referring to is the wire that engages the starter solenoid and bendix gear during starting the engine...

My little brother has a 98 XJ I6. It was mine I gave it to him after I got married. He has been having some issues with his battery cables/ terminals so we went to go get new ones.

I thought it would be in and out fairly easy job. We traced the positive battery cable down to the starter and there was a connector with a green wire and the positive cable in it. What is that green cable to and is there anyway to replace his battery cables without getting a new one of those connectors to the starter?

No trouble there. See the "Reterminating Starter Lead" under "Instructions" on my site. Takes you five minutes or so.

No trouble there. See the "Reterminating Starter Lead" under "Instructions" on my site. Takes you five minutes or so.

Plus your cables are awesome and worth every penny if the OP hasn't already bought cables. Even so he should return them and buy yours ;)

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but does anyone have those "retermination instructions" handy? The PDF isn't showing up on kelleyswip website anymore, and I really need to know how to do this. I'm replacing all my battery cables (corrosion!) and that crazy unified connector back at the starter is a real snag... I would think it's pretty simple but I'm an idiot when it comes to wires, instructions are good :).

Never mind, he got my PM and I have the instructions now! Thanks!

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but does anyone have those "retermination instructions" handy? The PDF isn't showing up on kelleyswip website anymore, and I really need to know how to do this. I'm replacing all my battery cables (corrosion!) and that crazy unified connector back at the starter is a real snag... I would think it's pretty simple but I'm an idiot when it comes to wires, instructions are good :).

I'll get the .pdf files back up there - probably after my wife gets through the rounds of orthopaedic surgery she's been having (new hip in DEC, new knee last month, probably rotator cuff shortly, arthroscopic cleanup of the other knee, ...)

As you can probably guess, it's been keeping me awfully busy. The key differences are simple: 1) I knew I might be doing this sort of thing for her when we got married ("You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred." Bonus points for anyone who gets the reference.) 2) I have never felt under- or un-appreciated when taking care of her.

Key differences...

Meanwhile - just ask if you want to see one! I'll happily email them out as requested.

Wow! Ortho surgery = long hard road. You have my best wishes for her health! And I think I can speak for everyone here when I say we can wait for PDFs. Your current "work" is much more important.

won't remember stuff like that without my super sauce-- I'll let you know when it starts to work....

....... cluck, cluck.....

I do believe we have a winner!

(I do so miss those old cartoons, y'know?)

@Katuah - no worries. I try to get to all emails and info requests inside of 24 hours as a fixed policy (if I'm on the road, I've set my autoresponder...) but it helps considerably that I have an understanding of what being an orthopaedic patient is like, and I've been through Pain & Torture more times than I'd care to count (rebuilt right shoulder, blew cartilage out of right knee, probably broken a dozen ribs by now, Fx pelvis, Fx C2/C5, massive facial Fx, ...)

However, her new hip is settling in and making itself at home, her new knee is doing much the same (and both of her feet are now tracking properly. I monitor her gait...) and it's stiff only because of the unconscious tensing of the muscles that support the knee - which decreases incrementally day by day.

But, this is nothing new to either of us, so it's just a matter of getting through it all...

Oh - and we've an excellent orthopaedic surgeon - Ronald Joseph Ph.D, M.D. He was actually a Boston cop before he got his Ph.D. in epidemology, and did his med school while he was a professor at Temple. And, he's got an incredibly warped sense of humour - which helps considerably (most orthopaedic surgeons seem to suffer from a Christ complex - but not this guy. Highly recommended!)

Back