• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter dying?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
99 auto

Lately acceleration has been declining, shifting hard, no balls pedal to the floor 50mph+, idle a little bouncy, trans got some noises.

Autow4 is stock, probably 225000 on her.

You have tested/inspected and eliminated all the more common and more likely causes for the symptoms described ?

About the only other thing you could check is the pressures.

Fuel pressure 45psi
TPS Mopar maybe two months old
Tv cable adjusted 5 times
Hense why I'm wonder about the trans, there's a clicking buzz sometimes when idling

Is the transmission overheating, shuddering, slipping, experiencing high stall speeds ? Any changes in the gas mpg's ? Any signs of excessive contamination of the trans fluid ?

Test the TPS, new does always mean it is good. Inspect the TPS and TCM wire plugs, any corroded/bent/pushed back wire pins ? Test the TPS and TCM wire harnesses, any short circuits, open circuits, failed wire splices, chafed wire insulation ? Do you have 5 volts at the TPS and continuity to ground ? Is the clockspring shorted to the TPS ground ? Test the shift solenoids and inpsect their wire harness for damage. Have you inspected and tested the brake switch ?

Do the "manual shift test" - unplug the TCM and see how it runs in "dumb" mode.

Without guidance from the TCM, the transmission is supposed to react to the shifter position as follows:

1-2 : Stay in 1st
3: Stay in 3rd
D: Stay in Overdrive.

If you have exhausted all the common sense causes and are going to start shotgunning random repair parts at the issue, consider buying a good used TCM which is certainly less expensive than a torque converter.

Last edited:
99 auto

Lately acceleration has been declining, shifting hard, no balls pedal to the floor 50mph+, idle a little bouncy, trans got some noises.

Doesn't sound like a t/c issue. A bad t/c is one that is slipping. Your description sounds like low on power. If we're going to throw out wild guesses, I'll suggest a plugged cat.

Is the clockspring shorted to the TPS ground ? [/QUOTE]

This interests me as the airbag light is on randomly.

I'll get to it Tim, thank you for the checklist.

Fuel pressure 45psi
TPS Mopar maybe two months old
Tv cable adjusted 5 times
Hense why I'm wonder about the trans, there's a clicking buzz sometimes when idling

Did you check the pressure while driving? I've seen vehicles where the fuel pressure is fine at idle, but once you put a load on the engine it drops down way too low. Have you checked your fuel trims?

Back