• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POWER Steering

XJRubicon

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for more power with out getting crazy?

Want something with more power that bolts right on and is easy to find?!

We found out that a 2001' 4.7L Grand Cherokee runs a pump VERY similar to an XJ. The pump bolts right on with just changing the fitting for the high pressure line. Then a plug must be put on the extra return line.

Here is the best part, The 01' 4.7L runs a Hydraulic cooling fan off the PS pump. Because of this the pump is higher volume and pressure.

When the 01' Grand Cherokee pump is installed in an XJ the power increase is insane!

We can turn 33 swampers with a pinky finger, buried to the rock rails in the snow.

I am going to have to convert my 87' this way too.

Trust me, you will NOT be disappointed with this POWER mod.

XJR

very cool, how long have you been running this? i'm just wondering about the long term effects on the steering box-wouldn't want to start blowing seals or the like.

Ten High said:
very cool, how long have you been running this? i'm just wondering about the long term effects on the steering box-wouldn't want to start blowing seals or the like.

We have been running it pretty much every day for the past 3 or 4 months.

We have gotten stuck a few times, (live on the mountain) and had to gun the engine and work the steering to get unstuck and so far there has not been a single problem! We thoroughly abuse our XJ's

I would not have recommended it if I did not feel confident that it is solid!:D

XJR

Does a replacement pump come with the fan and evertyhing you need or do you need a junkyard pump assembly?

Stumpalump said:
Does a replacement pump come with the fan and evertyhing you need or do you need a junkyard pump assembly?

If you want a NEW pump... go to the auto store and it will come with everything you need except the pulley and tank. They will have a pulley puller you can rent at the same time. Use your old pulley and old tank and you are good to go! As I said, You also need to replace the old high pressure fitting that is on the old pump to the new one...

The fan assembly in the Grand Cherokee will not fit in an XJ. Way too tall.

XJR

rooneypower said:
This is something I am would STRONGLY like to do. How much did it cost you to do this?? Kinda cheap? How hard is the install?

Keil

Well, I bought a rolled 01' GC limited for the drivetrain for my buggy.
That is were we sourced the pump.

I would bet it is VERY cheap at a junkyard... $10-$20?

Nothing else is needed!

1sickhick said:
HOW MUCH STRESS IS NOW ON FRAME RAIL?DO YOU HAVE A STEERING BOX BRACE?? DO YOU BELEAVE IT NEEDS ONE?

JACK

We currently do not have a steering brace and that is a big no no.

Last month I had to weld the unibody back together for a lady with a stock XJ.
She slid off the road years ago and after years of going down the road it finally snapped off.

So far, we have beat the hell out of the 99' with the super pump and it has held fine. but with ANY steering upgrade, the XJ needs to be braced.

We have jumped this truck the way it is with no problem.

Most people are not as hard on their XJ's so you might be fine with out the brace. We however, need to address that issue.

this is perfect!

I'm gonna go down to the junkyard tomorrow and get all this stuff, and I am building my front bumper right now and it is fitted with the steering box bolts to make it stronger..

Keil

WHOOPS!
Repost
Please delete.

XJRubicon said:
Looking for more power with out getting crazy?

Want something with more power that bolts right on and is easy to find?!

We found out that a 2001' 4.7L Grand Cherokee runs a pump VERY similar to an XJ. The pump bolts right on with just changing the fitting for the high pressure line. Then a plug must be put on the extra return line.

Here is the best part, The 01' 4.7L runs a Hydraulic cooling fan off the PS pump. Because of this the pump is higher volume and pressure.

When the 01' Grand Cherokee pump is installed in an XJ the power increase is insane!

We can turn 33 swampers with a pinky finger, buried to the rock rails in the snow.

I am going to have to convert my 87' this way too.

Trust me, you will NOT be disappointed with this POWER mod.

XJR

Do you have any pictures of the fitting that needs to be changed and the plug that needs to be added? I was looking up the pictures on NAPA's website but it does not show the plug or fitting. Thanks

It seems like this would be a great up-grade for those who run hydraulic
winches. I've always considered one, and if I go that route I definately will keep this Mod in mind!
:cheers:
Cheers!

This sounds like a great mod, My guess is the Volume is the key in that pump. For anyone wanting a new pump the A/C Delco part number is 36-717169.

epd166 said:
Do you have any pictures of the fitting that needs to be changed and the plug that needs to be added? I was looking up the pictures on NAPA's website but it does not show the plug or fitting. Thanks

Tomorrow during the day light I will take some pictures and try to add a little more detail on this.

The fitting that must be changed is where the high pressure line (rubber hose with a length of steel line going to the fitting. Mounts to the top of the pump.) connects.

The one that must be plugged is on the back of the plastic tank.
As I said, I will shoot some picture of the installed pump tomorrow.

Thanks,
XJR

Back