• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pls give me your $.02 on lift recommendations...

CoastieJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys, traded in my YJ and picked up my 1996 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 not too long ago (had a baby), and need to go to work on it to create my "backcountry explorer". This needs to be my daily driver and it needs to be able to traverse long stretches of highway to the trailhead, run a light to medium trail, and get me home. I always find it prudent to figure out what size tire you want to run, and then work things around that. Desired Tire size= 32x11.50 all-terrains. Here are my initial thoughts, pls let me know your comments/recommendations...

Tire/Wheel brand - BFG all-terrains; have run them before, and besides running a little small I love them. American Racing Outlaws 15x8 - love the look and I think there strong enough. ALCOAS?

Lift - Rubicon Express 3.5" or Grand Cherokee Coils with spacer and new rear leafs. Don't mind doing some fender trimming to keep a low COG.

Axle gear ratio - no idea...suggestions? Stock?

Lockers - have the Chrysler 8.25 rear and Dana 30 front, no abs. Was thinking it might be a good investment to get the ARB for the rear.

Front/Rear Bumpers - no idea. Need winch compatibility for the front, and spare tire carrier for the rear. Both need to emphasize strength and ground clearance.

Chasis Stiffener/Rock Sliders- T&J Fabrication.

Flares - love the look of the Bushwackers, but want to do some fender trimming.

Roof Rack - not sure, but I know I'll need one.

CoastieJ said:
Tire/Wheel brand - BFG all-terrains; have run them before, and besides running a little small I love them. American Racing Outlaws 15x8 - love the look and I think there strong enough. ALCOAS?

In SoCal, most the guys run eithr BFG MT or
lg.gdy.logo.gif
MTRs
We have rock and LOTS of it. Rims don't matter too much but remember we have rocks so expect a lot of dings and scrapes. If you are going to run 32s on a 3.5" lift get ready to take the sawzall out and cut your body. 31s fit good on 3-3.5" lift with no cutting. I had very little noise with my 33 BFG MT coming from my 31 BFG AT so don't do the AT (35s make a lot of noise though). The ATs SUCK in the rocks so save your money or learn the hard way like the others have (Remi!)

CoastieJ said:
Lift - Rubicon Express 3.5" or Grand Cherokee Coils with spacer and new rear leafs. Don't mind doing some fender trimming to keep a low COG.

I don't own any Rubicon Express but a LOT of people do and have been very satisfied. It seems to hold up and will be complete (no guesswork like with the ZJ coils and stuff).

CoastieJ said:
Axle gear ratio - no idea...suggestions? Stock?

I loved my 4.10 on 31s but 4.10 on 32s should work fine (you didn't mention if you had an auto or stick)

CoastieJ said:
Lockers - have the Chrysler 8.25 rear and Dana 30 front, no abs. Was thinking it might be a good investment to get the ARB for the rear.

I love my ARB's but they are expensive. People love the detroit too. If you do this make sure you are 29 spline and if not THEN is the time to upgrade to 29 spline shafts!

CoastieJ said:
Front/Rear Bumpers - no idea. Need winch compatibility for the front, and spare tire carrier for the rear. Both need to emphasize strength and ground clearance.

There are so many different options here it boils down to personal preference.
I love my rear www.detoursusa.com bumper though.

CoastieJ said:
Chasis Stiffener/Rock Sliders- T&J Fabrication.

Look at www.Detoursusa.com as an option too.

CoastieJ said:
Flares - love the look of the Bushwackers, but want to do some fender trimming.

Bushwakers look okay but you cannot see where you tire is with them (I have them and they SUCK off road because of this).

CoastieJ said:
Roof Rack - not sure, but I know I'll need one.

Too many options. Try not to use the raingutters though. The raingutters all ways break off.

Become a member and come out with us on the runs when you are ready. There is always something going on out in SoCal.

Last thing, learn to use http://www.naxja.org/forum/search.php? Most of these questions have been discussed a million times.

Last edited:
cracker said:
Too many options. Try not to use the raingutters though. The raingutters all ways break off. QUOTE]
What is with this statement?
I thought that the gutter mount racks were the strongest?

If you're really looking at keeping civilized highway manners, stick to 3-4" of lift. With some judicious fender trimming, you should be able to handle 32s without much trouble.

AW4? Probably 4.56s. There's a long thread around here about ratios.

Diffs...... in SoCal, you should be able to get away with just about anything, from limited slips to a Detroit to a selectable. All boils down to your personal preference.

CoastieJChasis Stiffener/Rock Sliders- T&J Fabrication. [/QUOTE said:
Arnt those the weld on ones? If they are the ones Im thinking of, if you plan on adding any sort of slidder later, it wont be a bolt on deal. You will have to make/buy a custom set because of how those stiffiners work.

Lifted said:
What is with this statement?
I thought that the gutter mount racks were the strongest?

Depends on how you do it. I have seen roof racks that completely remove the factory rails and bolt into the riv-serts in the roof and those are strong. I used the rain gutters with six feet and I ripped off both rain gutters.

Either way, they both can have issues

Back