• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Wind Noises" Going Down the Highway

FernGreen

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I've got a weird one for you. I've got a few 97+ Cherokees so I know what normal XJ wind noise is like when going down the highway but one of my XJ's seems to be significantly louder going down the highway than the rest of my Cherokees. I've notice the noise changes based on speed. It only happens at highway speeds and doesn't seem to matter if its winter/summer or windy/calm day. The "wind noises" start at around 70mph and continue as long as I'm above 70mph. The reason i call it "wind noise" is that's exactly what it sounds like; it sounds like air beating on the front of the jeep. The noise is not consistent it kind of comes in waves.

The noise dies down when I let off (decelerate) and gets bad again when I'm on the throttle again, this all happens when I'm anything above 70mph. This "wind noise" is coming from the front of the jeep.

The jeep is a 2000 lifted 4.5" with 32s (265/70/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers), A.A. SYE w/ adams rear driveshaft & stock front drivshaft. I still have the stock bumper and end caps which I know are pretty restrictive to air.

One other Cherokee i have that has a 3" lift w/ 31s & the stock bumper is not anywhere as irritable as this one. Has anyone else experienced a noise like this? Everything in the front end has checked out fine, it really does feel like a heck of a lot of air resistance LOL.

I also have another 2000 lifted 4.5" on 32s (32x11.50x15 BFG KO) with an aftermarket front bumper that doesn't hang down as low with no harsh wind noises either.

Last edited:
Actual wind noises, or driveline vibrations ?

Check for loose parts or trim, loose radiator shroud, poor workmanship from windshield replacement, doors out of adjustment, failed door seals, missing fender well seals, loose exhaust parts.

Check for tire defects, out of round tires, tread belt separation, tire tread harmonics, failing u-joints, failing unit-hubs, damaged or worn driveshafts, failing pinion or differential bearings.

Would you happen to have cowl air intake? Spectre, etc. Definite howl under load.

The noise dies down when I let off (decelerate) and gets bad again when I'm on the throttle again, this all happens when I'm anything above 70mph. This "wind noise" is coming from the front of the jeep.....
This sounds like the fan clutch is locking up unintentionally instead
of freewheeling. I'd examine it very closely, and look for fluid leaks.

The front edge of the front doors can cause lots of noise, if they're
sticking out from the fender even slightly. Check these with a
straightedge.

This sounds like the fan clutch is locking up unintentionally instead
of freewheeling. I'd examine it very closely, and look for fluid leaks.

The front edge of the front doors can cause lots of noise, if they're
sticking out from the fender even slightly. Check these with a
straightedge.

It very well could be the clutch! It’s original to the Jeep and doesn’t kick on very much at all unlike my others. I do have a small coolant leak. The brand new water pump is leaking just ever so slightly out of the weep hole. The driver side side isn’t quite uniform with the bodyline. And something else I didn’t think of till you mentioned that is, the hood sticks up a little over the header panel.

You might also want to have the wheel hubs checked. When those go bad you will definitely hear increased noise that sounds like loud tires or very strong winds.

It's usually noticed before getting to 70 mph though.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Back