• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Fan Override Switch (The Easy Way)

The timer I used is activated by pushing a monentary-on button once, to set it for three minutes. It is powered when the ignition is either on or off

For constant operation, when the engine is running, another button (push on, push off) controls the added fan relay and powers a dash light, showing the fan is operating.

Kastein, I came across this way of hooking up switch and wondered of there is any issue with doing it this way:
https://www.cherokeetalk.com/thread...ple-and-inexpensive-fan-off-time-delay.69801/
I hooked everything up yesterday as a small test. If I used an on/off toggle it would stay on as long as I wanted, but wondering if there would be any I'll affects from doing it this way.
Your thoughts?

I attempted to do it that way. The relay he used is no longer available, and the “new” version of it didn’t work for me when I attempted it.

My goal was full manual control and a shutdown timer for heat soak. Here’s how I went about it:

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=246673926#post246673926

I got the new bueller time delay relay and had the same issue of it not working. I got in touch with the seller to find out what was going on. The new version is wired differently from a standard relay, which kinda kills my idea of being able to swap in any relay in case the time delay unit failed. Here's the email response I got from them in regards to the wiring:

These are wired differently than a standard relay:

Pin configuration:
Pin 30 - Must have constant or accessory 12 volts all-time, as this is what powers the circuit on the relay
Pin 85 - Ground
Pin 86 - Single pulse (+12 volts) to trigger time delay off (Constant 12 volts can be applied and once +12 volts is removed relay will stay latched for duration of timer.)
Pin 87a - +12 volt output (Normally closed contact - on except when time delay is active)
Pin 87 - +12 volt output (Normally open contact - on for duration of set time)

These relays don't come with instruction telling you to wire them differently. Not sure what I want to do yet.

Has anyone done this a high amp toggle switch to apply power directly to the blue wire going to the fan on a 00-01 to see if does a CEL? I bought a relay and the darn thing isn't labeled so I have zero clue which one is 87, 87a, 30, etc. But that got me thinking why not just run a toggle to simplify the whole thing?

Its working for me on my '00 XJ.

Back