• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Liberty Rear Disc Backing Plates

M4Madness

NAXJA Forum User
I'm scrounging up parts for a ZJ rear disc brake swap for my XJ. I got a great deal on all the parts to do it, but the backing plates (dust shields) have seen better days and are quite rusty. The local salvage yards don't have any -- probably you guys nabbing every rear disc set-up that hits the yard. :roflmao:) The dealership says "No go. Discontinued." I thought I had a set from Chrysler Parts Direct, as they allowed me to place an order, but today I got an e-mail saying that they are no longer available.

While searching, I noticed that the Liberty backing plates look similar. Anyone know if they would work? I drilled out the rivets holding my old dust shields to the caliper mounts, so it would be as simple as riveting the new dust shields onto the mounts if they would work. Anyone have access to the Jeep part number for them?

I take all the dust sheilds off of my vehicles as soon as one starts making noise. I hate when they start rusty and hit my discs.

The only thing I still have dust shields on is my 8.8 I'm prepping right now, the dust shields on those form part of the hold-down system for the e-brake shoes so I couldn't eliminate them entirely. I did remove them and cut them down to the bare minimum though, I also dislike dust shields.

I'm pretty sure ZJ brakes need the dust shields for the parking brake set-up.

yep. and i have heard that a KJ rear disk from an 8.25 will bolt up to an XJ 8.25 with no mods (ie caliper bracket and dust shield)

yep. and i have heard that a KJ rear disk from an 8.25 will bolt up to an XJ 8.25 with no mods (ie caliper bracket and dust shield)

I found out about the KJ route AFTER I'd already bought the ZJ stuff. :tear:

For the heck of it, this morning I called various salvage yards within a 50-mile radius asking about complete sets of KJ rear brakes, and no one wanted to separate a good axle to sell them. So, I doubt I'd get lucky even if I went that route.

Here's a Jeep Liberty (KJ) backing plate for comparison:

2Barebackingplate.jpg

I'm pretty sure ZJ brakes need the dust shields for the parking brake set-up.

+1, The Parking (emergency) brake equipment mounts to them on the ZJ & Liberty, So you cant just ditch them, Unless you don't want a parking (emergency) brake!

Isnt the KJ backing plate thicker? Potentially you may need slightly longer wheel studs. Where's that link?

And yes you need longer mounting plate studs, You also need longer Wheel studs because now you have Rotors!

Not to drag up a new thread, I have a set of ZJ backing plates with brackets and the ebrake shoe assembly.

I got to looking in my garage yesterday and ran across them. The backing plate/dust shield literally crumbled to dust in my hands. Can I just install the ZJ caliper brackets without that dust shield, and what holds the parking brake shoes in place?

I believe the edge of the parking brake shoes ride against small nubs that are raised on the backing plate/dust shield. You will need to find another set or not have a parking brake. At least that the way my 8.8 is set up.

I believe the edge of the parking brake shoes ride against small nubs that are raised on the backing plate/dust shield. You will need to find another set or not have a parking brake. At least that the way my 8.8 is set up.

I think you're right. I just broke down and bought all the parts to completely rebuild my brakes, and decided if I'm putting that much work in, why not convert.

Atleast somebody's going to get a cheap set of drums, shoes, cylinders, hardware kits, and hoses. :-|

Back