• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chipped tooth in rear?

JohnJohn

Member #42
We are getting blasted with snow here today. I could pull the rear cover and check it, but it would be a pain with the garage shut. So here is the background and question.

- 98 auto, 231 case w/ AA SYE, D44, D30, 4.56, T-lockers, front hub conversion.
- experience typical u-Joint type noise from t-case, driveshaft area
- disengaged hubs, 2WD, STILL NOISE
- disengaged hubs, rear locker on, 2WD, STILL NOISE
- removed rear shaft, engaged hubs, lockers off, 4WD, NO NOISE
- had rear shaft checked and rebalanced
- jacked up rear axle without shaft, spinning tires with hand, locker works and NO NOISE
- reinstalled rear shaft, raise tires and spinning them by hand, NO NOISE
- reinstall rear shaft, hubs disengaged, 2WD, STILL NOISE
- I have very little movement up and down when holding onto the rear shaft. The movement I have actually moves the case.

Cause:
1) Bearing in tail cone?
2) Chipped ring tooth?

Last edited:
You did all that and you never even pulled the diff cover?

IMO, I think it's probably a broken tooth. Possibly the locker making the noise, but who knows?

Gotta pull the cover, John.

Okie Terry said:
You did all that and you never even pulled the diff cover?

IMO, I think it's probably a broken tooth. Possibly the locker making the noise, but who knows?

Gotta pull the cover, John.

I thought for sure it was the double cardon in the rear driveshaft. I thought it might be the locker as well, but engaging it and disengaging does not make the noise go away.

I chipped tooth only makes noise under load?

JohnJohn said:
- experience typical u-Joint type noise from t-case, driveshaft area
Am I missing something? Is the noise from your rear differential or from your transfer case? All your troubleshooting is looking for a problem in your rear differential and driveshaft.

Les

lbexj said:
Am I missing something? Is the noise from your rear differential or from your transfer case? All your troubleshooting is looking for a problem in your rear differential and driveshaft.

Les

Hence my question. My t-case is shifting in all setting fine. It's my understanding that differential noise will distribute up the shaft.

When the snow stops I’ll pull the cover. It’s impossible to pull the cover today without opening the garage door. 16” of snow and still coming down hard.

JohnJohn said:
Hence my question. My t-case is shifting in all setting fine. It's my understanding that differential noise will distribute up the shaft.

When the snow stops I’ll pull the cover. It’s impossible to pull the cover today without opening the garage door. 16” of snow and still coming down hard.
True, this is. For the longest time, I thought that my DC was the one making the noise.
Then I pulled the cover and, well, we've all seen the pictures.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44899&highlight=tooth

JohnJohn said:

Ok ... Need to pay attention a bit more.
JohnJohn said:
I have very little movement up and down when holding onto the rear shaft. The movement I have actually moves the case.
Enjoy your snow ...

Les

JohnJohn said:
Ok so when I pull the cover and see the chipped tooth, after cleaning out the diff, can I do an more damage by driving it down to the shop to pull everything out?
Depends on the damage sustained. I drove mine for a year with one tooth missing, with no noise. When the second tooth broke, it started clunking and it still drove.

Who knows, you may have two broken teeth.

Ask Kid4lyf about the guy who drove 90 miles to his shop without a diff cover.

chipped tooth in rear?

Just had to look...... I was going to ask what you were doing with your head up your ass???:laugh3: :laugh3:

Okie probably has it right. Sounds like a busted tooth, but can you figure out if the noise is at the rate of wheel spin or the rate of the driveshaft spin. If it is the higher, driveshaft frequency, it could be in the TC, but if it is the lower frequency, it absolutely rules out TC.

I actually had a ticking noise in the rear D44 axle and it turned out to be a busted wheel bearing. Two of the rollers were actually split in half.

old_man said:

Just had to look...... I was going to ask what you were doing with your head up your ass???:laugh3: :laugh3:

Okie probably has it right. Sounds like a busted tooth, but can you figure out if the noise is at the rate of wheel spin or the rate of the driveshaft spin. If it is the higher, driveshaft frequency, it could be in the TC, but if it is the lower frequency, it absolutely rules out TC.

I actually had a ticking noise in the rear D44 axle and it turned out to be a busted wheel bearing. Two of the rollers were actually split in half.

Thanks Tom, Did the wheel bearing noise happen without load?

Doesn't the pinion gear move at the same ratio at the driveshaft? If so could it still be in the dif?

Heck I'll stop the speculating and open the cover after the snow stops.

No noise without a load, and the pinion rotates at the higher speed, roughly once per every two feet instead of once every 10 feet.

Free advertising for you JJ, since most of Okie's relatives are missing teeth, he may be the expert on this diagnosis......BTW, is this similar to what your T-Locker did in Moab last fall?

Back