• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 5.5 install update (rear only)

h.curtis

NAXJA Forum User
(install on rear only, so far)

Well I got the rear on... kind of. No rear driveshaft yet, due to me having some rare rear end dana 35c :confused: . I need a different u-joint and will be waiting to get one, so am driving via front axle only. Beer anyone?

Also, OME rear shocks that I got didn't have a kit (upper pin) to install the shocks and I will be waiting for that from Dirk. I guess they are now using ZJ rear shocks due to them having more travel, but they need the kit for install. I am using the old pins out of my old shocks to get by until the parts arrive. Rum and coke?

The bolts for the shocks (rear) ALL broke. Couldn't get a damn nut up in there on the left side so I had to retap. How about a Scotch?

The rear shackles hit my Borla exhaust right at the tail pipe, so that will have to be delt with. I have some wild hose clamp on there for a temperary fix until I get a game plan. Hmmmm, lets see what else goes wrong when I do anything? Shot of Jack?

The hack and tap went well. The leaf's came off pretty well without too much problem. Champagne?

Anyway, that is the progess so far. It took longer than I figured due to the problems. I am putting the front together on Thursday and Friday nights. Hope it goes a little smoother, but who knows? Wiskey?

Figured I would post this a bit. I have about 6-7 hours in the rear. The driveshaft will take no time to install, so that will be about it.

Enjoy,
Curt

Good Luck with those Drop Brackets....Jager?

hahaha i'm so glad to see someone else was having fun this weekend as well. :D

Last weekend I completed the same work that you did this weekend. I also installed a new D44 rear end as well though but that was not a problem at all since I already had everything out. The rear install went great. Not a single bit of trouble. The rear shock bolts came out like they were just installed last week. I did have a tuff time getting the shackle spring hanger bolts loose. They were really tight in there, and I did not want to break anything.

If you think that back end was trouble, I suggest you pay someone to install the front.

I did the front install this weekend. It took me a GOOD 2 days, where as I had the rear done in 3 hrs. The front is just a mess. There is all sorts of stuff you have to keep in mind when you are working. You cant place the jacks under the frame rails in the front because thats where the control arm supports go. You cant put them much further back because you'll have issues with it lifting the whole side and teetering it back and forth. One word of advice, install EVERYTHING involving the control arms, brackets, and supports before tightening anything down. I still have to install the trackbar and jks quick discos and shocks front and rear. BTW my OME's did not come with BarPins for the rear. I am not pleased about that either. Also I bought a set of JKS BPE's for the rear but now i hear that you can not use the bar pin eliminators w/ OME shocks....can anyone comment on this? I also installed a set of JKS ACOS as well... They look pimp but gave me a bit more lift in the front then I thought I was going to get. It is about an inch higher in the front then the rear right now. I wanted it to be a bit higher though, just as long as the rear does not sag much more.

Good luck on the front my friend. Stay focused and do not let it get the best of you. Try not the throw tools, I still can not find one pair of my big vicegrips :mad: and Try to keep your nuts together. Also one more thing, You have to reuse some bolts so hang onto some.

Other then that...I feel your pain.

-Scott

good luck on getting those upper bar pins for the rear shocks from Dirk. ARB was supposed to ship them to me, that was about two months ago. I've been running the sweet stock bar pins ever since.

CStamm said:
good luck on getting those upper bar pins for the rear shocks from Dirk. ARB was supposed to ship them to me, that was about two months ago. I've been running the sweet stock bar pins ever since.

I was told the bar pins are in stock now and will be sent today or tommorow from the west coast. He mentioned that he has been trying to get them for a couplle of people for quite a while. Sounds like you are in luck as well.

Curt

sintax said:
hahaha i'm so glad to see someone else was having fun this weekend as well. :D

If you think that back end was trouble, I suggest you pay someone to install the front.

BTW my OME's did not come with BarPins for the rear. I am not pleased about that either.

Good luck on the front my friend. Stay focused and do not let it get the best of you. Try not the throw tools, I still can not find one pair of my big vicegrips :mad: and Try to keep your nuts together. Also one more thing, You have to reuse some bolts so hang onto some.

Other then that...I feel your pain.

-Scott

I think I would have done it in much less time if things didn't break and I had to mess with the shocks for a while to get them on temperaraly, have the exhaust hit, put the front of the driveshaft on and go to put the rear on and it doesn't fit.

I am not that worried about the front. I am sure it will be tough, but I have two nights to do it. I am hoping to get it done the first night. You know if I don't break anything and the stuff comes off ok, maybe I'll get lucky.

Curt

h.curtis said:

I am not that worried about the front. I am sure it will be tough, but I have two nights to do it. I am hoping to get it done the first night. You know if I don't break anything and the stuff comes off ok, maybe I'll get lucky.

Curt

you sound A LOT like me last Friday night. Just dont let it get the best of you ;)

-Scott

Oh, I wanted to mention this too. I have a 4" lift on the front still and the new 5.5 on the rear. The RE is WAY higher! It looks rediculous right now. My 31's are looking mighty small too. When done I will certainly need 33's whch means new gears. Can I say cha ching. This is going to be a big expense that is for sure, but hopefully solid when I am done.

Curt

Kinda like this?

liftinstallday1-4.JPG

-Scott

Back