• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sumosprings opinions needed

x-jay vision

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
hey all, I searched and didn't find anything, but I might be retarded. I'm looking on opinions of sumosprings in the rear, looking to reduce sag pulling a small travel trailer. Anyone have them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

So I'm planning on using my XJ to tow a small travel trailer a few times a year so I can get back in the remote spots. I have been making a few changes to make that a more reasonable idea, one of which was adding sumosprings in the back. Really couldn't find much of anything on them, but they are essentially a progressive bumpstop that acts like an airbag under compression. They replace the rear bumpstops, so they don't limit droop. So far I've been very happy with them and the rear suspension rides very smooth over the high speed stuff. Have not towed with them yet. We will see how that goes.

Sumo springs are either underrated or under utilized. I love them

I use them as bumps stops. They are extremely effective as a "poor man's" air bump.

Metal Cloak sells them for the JK as bump stops (not so much as an air bag replacement). My first experience with them was on my JK and they were fantastic when landing good and hard.

Skip to about 2:00 https://vimeo.com/102785977

https://vimeo.com/110736282

That thing needed the shocks tuned though.

So I'm planning on using my XJ to tow a small travel trailer a few times a year so I can get back in the remote spots. I have been making a few changes to make that a more reasonable idea, one of which was adding sumosprings in the back. Really couldn't find much of anything on them, but they are essentially a progressive bumpstop that acts like an airbag under compression. They replace the rear bumpstops, so they don't limit droop. So far I've been very happy with them and the rear suspension rides very smooth over the high speed stuff. Have not towed with them yet. We will see how that goes.

What part number did you use and how much lift do you have? They have 3 different lengths for the rear of the XJ.

What part number did you use and how much lift do you have? They have 3 different lengths for the rear of the XJ.
Well my bump stop pads are extended leaf spring plates, so they are elevated above the axle. I used the standard no lift sumo springs, I have about 4 inches of lift and the sumo springs are about 1 inch from engaging on my leaf spring plates, when sitting at normal ride height.

I did weld a custom support pillar on the bottom of the leaf spring plate to prevent the sumospring from stretching my u-bolts or bending the leaf plate. I can take pics if you want.

I can imagine what you mean.

Thanks for the info. I bought a 2nd XJ for the wife. It's going to be a mild wheeler for our favorite local trails as well as a "chase truck" for my go fast Jeep. She'll carry the OBA and tools. I want it to be capable of carrying a pretty good load offroad so I plan to use the sumo springs. Leafs will be a bastard pack using another set of XJ leafs I have laying around.

On my rig I actually use PN# SSF-401-47 on a custom mount that bolts into the stock location with some bracing. The bump strikes directly over the leafs on the leaf plate. It came out nice. I use the same bumps in the front too.

For the rear PN# SSR-403-40 is 1" longer than the "no-lift" ones you use. 402 is 5.25", 403 is 6.25" and 404 is 7.25" long

Well my bump stop pads are extended leaf spring plates, so they are elevated above the axle. I used the standard no lift sumo springs, I have about 4 inches of lift and the sumo springs are about 1 inch from engaging on my leaf spring plates, when sitting at normal ride height.

I did weld a custom support pillar on the bottom of the leaf spring plate to prevent the sumospring from stretching my u-bolts or bending the leaf plate. I can take pics if you want.

I know it's not my thread but I'd like to see what you did -- Thanks

I can imagine what you mean.

On my rig I actually use PN# SSF-401-47 on a custom mount that bolts into the stock location with some bracing. The bump strikes directly over the leafs on the leaf plate. It came out nice. I use the same bumps in the front too.

Are you talking about the JK in the video or did you use these on a XJ -- I'd like to see pictures of your mounts too if it's not too much trouble

Thanks, Jer

I know it's not my thread but I'd like to see what you did -- Thanks
Hopefully this pic helps. It's 2x2 tubing notched for the brake line, welded to the bottom of the extended spring plate.
54053119b0ed0df3c57cfb658ffd332b.jpg

I have a few build threads on different websites destroyed by photobucket -- they can suck it as far as I'm concerned

I have not moved to another photo host so I can't even suggest where to go

Hey there,

Hate to bump an old thread, but anyone know the free lengths on the rear sumo springs for the XJ? I know they make 3 different lengths so ideally on the 4+" lift versions, but also the stock version.

Back